Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-09-21 02:07:42

Bogert

Where is Myoanji?

Hello,
    I'm wandering around Kyoto and don't know where Myoanji is located at.  Does anyone here know whereabouts it is?  Is it part of the tofukuji complex?  And what is the best way to get there from near Horikawa dori and Kitayama dori?  I'm still getting my bearings in the city.  Thanks for any help.
                                                                                                      Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#2 2006-09-21 02:41:23

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Re: Where is Myoanji?

Yes, Myoanji is inside the Tofukuji complex.  I think you can take the Keihan train line to Tofukuji St.; get off there and walk to Tofukuji.
Actually, you're way north so get on the main subway line from Kitayama St. down to Kyoto St.; then get a train from there to Tokukuji St.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2006-09-21 02:44:27)

#3 2006-09-21 04:59:38

Bogert

Oh ok, thanks.  I could probably walk from Kyoto station.  I walked to Kyoto station today from my place, it took awhile though.

理趣経百字の偈

#4 2006-09-21 11:37:32

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Bogert wrote:

Hello,
    I'm wandering around Kyoto and don't know where Myoanji is located at.  Does anyone here know whereabouts it is?  Is it part of the tofukuji complex?  And what is the best way to get there from near Horikawa dori and Kitayama dori?  I'm still getting my bearings in the city.  Thanks for any help.
                                                                                                      Chris

Hey Chris, what a wondeful thing, wandering around Kyoto! Since you know where the Kyoto trainstation is, just stop by the information desk. Someone there can direct you to Tofukuji. You may not be able to get into Myoanji unless there's some activity scheduled.

Here is a link to some photos of the front garden and stone tablet of Myoanji http://www.yungflutes.com/html_pages/about_page.html Just click on the Japan Gallery tab.

Don't forget to go around back where there is a tombstone with names of shakuhachi players, incuded is Jin Nyodo's.

If you have time, take a walk along the Philosopher's Path. There is a temple there called Hosenji with some amazing comtepory art installation. The head priest is a great supporter of artists. Another not to be missed is the Bamboo Forest.  These locals are accessible by local train.

Also, might I suggest a search for a a tiny mom and pop ramen shop a block from Tofukuji on the walk from the train station exit. The dinning room was small and looked like a generi, modern nondescript kitchen, but the ramen was excellent.

Best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2006-09-22 03:54:04

Bogert

I'll have to do that philosophers path.  Also is there any good hiking trails around here I could get to by foot?  I found out about one that goes up to the big 大 on the hill behind Ginkakuji.  Any others?  Is there a trail going up to the other big thing on the hill?  Thanks.

理趣経百字の偈

#6 2006-09-22 04:25:17

Josh
PhD
Website

You can climb the mountain behind Kiyomizudera near Shijo.   Just walk straight through Yasaka jinja and Maruyama park towards the mountain and you'll get to the entrance. It's a 2hr45min course, not so tough I guess. You'll come out near Gojo.
Another place that's nice is Kurama and Kibune. Switch lines to the Hiezan line at Keihan's Demachiyanagi sta. It's the last stop on that line. Takes a couple of hours but it's deeper in the mountains.
Josh

#7 2006-09-25 00:34:43

Bogert

Hey Josh, if your ever in Kyoto for some reason in the next three months you should stop by and we could tootle abit on the shakuhachi.  That'd be fun. If your in the area just e-mail me and we could figure something out.
                                Chris

理趣経百字の偈

Board footer