Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2015-05-03 16:06:32

RAVEB

Learning to play Koku - Question about fingering

Im very new to Shakuhachi, and I don't have a teacher.

Im trying to learn how to play Koku. I found this annotated piece of the song which I am trying to reverse engineer by listening to a recording on youtube and recording the frequency of each not to cross reference to the fingering on my shakuhachi.

Here is the piece
http://i.imgur.com/hVH6K8b.png

I can play most of it now, however some of the fingering does not agree with published fingering charts. My shakuhachi is in key C (does this affect my fingering?)

Here is a specific example.

1) Does CHI NO MERI = CHI MERI? What does the 'NO' mean? This note registers as D# in the recording of Koku I'm listening to. However, I have to play a TSU MERI to get this note on my shakuhachi.

2) RU/ICHI SAN NO U is played as a "D" in the recording. To get this sound I have to play a TSU DAI MERI.

Why don't these notes correspond properly to my shakuhachi fingering chart? What am I missing here?

Thank you.

#2 2015-05-03 16:09:01

RAVEB

Re: Learning to play Koku - Question about fingering

Is there anywhere I can see the full version of Koku in Kinko notation online? I only have this small piece that I'm working with to figure out how to read Kinko with.

Thanks again!

#3 2015-05-18 20:52:36

Thorsten
Website

Re: Learning to play Koku - Question about fingering

RAVEB wrote:

Why don't these notes correspond properly to my shakuhachi fingering chart? What am I missing here?

Thank you.

Fingering charts are in reference to a 1.8 length (ca.55cm, key of D)
The shakuhachi fingering positions are just that - fingering position, i.e. they do not refer to an absolute pitch. So depending on the length you play the pitch varies for the same fingering.
e.g. a CHI MERI on a 1.8 that's a G#, on your 2.0 it's a F# and on the recording you mention the D# should correspond to a 2.4 length (ca. 75cm)

There is some info and fingering charts on the ESS website - maybe helpful for you.
http://shakuhachisociety.eu/resources/getting-started/

Board footer