Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2015-10-08 14:23:43

JR Haube

Fuke-shu mon/emblem

Can anyone explain the history and meaning behind the design at times associated with Fuke sect (circle, within are three leaves from which three sprouts seem to rise)? Image searching indicates it is the emblem of the Toyotomi clan. When I search for "Toyotomi" and "shakuhachi" I invariably read "After the death of Hideyori Toyotomi in ca.1610 the Tokugawa family came under control ushering Japan into the Edo period, an unprecedented stretch of peace which lasted 250 years. This was the golden age of the Shakuhachi and other Japanese arts which enjoyed support from the government." So that's kind of confusing. I don't see many explicit links between Toyotomi and the Fuke sect, or komuso in general, but I am obviously missing something. Any information is appreciated.

An example is here: http://www.fuke-shakuhachi.com/shaku8 although an image search for Toyotomi clan will bring up similar results.

Last edited by JR Haube (2015-10-08 14:27:59)

"A thing is just a slow event." --Stanley Eveling

#2 2015-10-08 19:35:57

caffeind

Re: Fuke-shu mon/emblem

"...the design at times associated with Fuke sect..."

What other examples are there of this mark being associated with the Fuke sect? BTW the mark at the link is one of a variety called kirimon, representing a paulownia flower, and is the official government seal of Japan.

#3 2015-10-12 14:21:49

JR Haube

Re: Fuke-shu mon/emblem

Thanks, caffeind. I am surprised Google's image search didn't direct me to better information. I think the design is associated with the Fuke sect only in my mind, based on Fujiyoshi Etsuzan's usage. I understand now that he almost certainly isn't drawing any particular association between the sect and the image.

"A thing is just a slow event." --Stanley Eveling

Board footer