Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2015-12-27 20:07:15

ShakuJ

cherrywood shakuhachi - need suggestions please

Hi forum

I'm in the process of making a cherrywood shakuhachi to the dimensions given on the shakuhachi making pdf as seen at the top of the flute making forum.

I undercut the holes and fine sanded the bore but haven't yet applied any type of finish to the bore. To me, (in my limited knowledge) the tuning sounds good and most of the notes speak quite well except for the very bottom note which takes a second or two longer to sound than the other notes do. When it does sound, it's quite quiet and not very resonant.

I'm unsure if applying a hard finish to the bore will help this note to speak better, or if I should pursue a different avenue before applying finish.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Jon

#2 2016-01-10 21:34:21

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: cherrywood shakuhachi - need suggestions please

ShakuJ wrote:

Hi forum

I'm in the process of making a cherrywood shakuhachi to the dimensions given on the shakuhachi making pdf as seen at the top of the flute making forum.

I undercut the holes and fine sanded the bore but haven't yet applied any type of finish to the bore. To me, (in my limited knowledge) the tuning sounds good and most of the notes speak quite well except for the very bottom note which takes a second or two longer to sound than the other notes do. When it does sound, it's quite quiet and not very resonant.

I'm unsure if applying a hard finish to the bore will help this note to speak better, or if I should pursue a different avenue before applying finish.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Searching for "ro is weak" on the forum will pull up a lot of discussion about this. A bore finish will slightly brighten up the overall tone. But if a particular note is a problem, that is probably not a fix. Places to start in the bore are the middle point and choke point.

Board footer