World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2016-06-09 21:48:33

Yinshi
Website

Getting back in the saddle

Hello all,

Once upon a time, some 26 years ago, I pursued a degree in music composition, having a deep love for classical music at a young age -- I never completed my degree however.

I've played the shakuhachi (purely as an amateur) since around 2000.  I had heard some shakuhachi music many years ago and its sound always fascinated me-- but the thought never occurred to me that might learn to play it one day.

I picked up my first one by chance at a Renaissance fair and got the basics of the embouchure immediately.  I mostly "noodled" on the instrument, coming up with a few simple compositions, and making vain attempts to learn "Honshirabe" and "Kyorei" by ear. 

In 2014, I lost almost everything I owned including the few flutes I had acquired over the years (most of them made by Monty Levenson).  I still have no flute but I plan to order a new one in July after I move into my new place here in Nashville-- just an inexpensive one just to tie me over until maybe next year when I can afford something a bit nicer.

My interest in the shakuhachi lies in its meditative aspect, but I had little familiarity with Zen Buddhism when I first began playing.  Since 2010 I have practiced Chan/Zen Buddhism.  Now, getting back up on my feet, I want to return to the shakuhachi, but I'd like to begin formal lessons sometime in the next couple months.  From what I can tell, that will mean online lessons.  Whatever it takes!

After recently watching some videos, I realize now that I have played the shakuhachi "wrong" in many ways (I had the same problem in my piano lessons in college-- previously I had played only by ear).  I definitely wish to correct these "errors" -- I'd be happy even just to finally play "Honshirabe" and "Kyorei" after all these years!

A lot of things happened in 2014 that has taken me two years to recover from economically, emotionally, and spiritually.  Now that my life has finally gotten back on track, I'd like to make a renewed effort in learning the shakuhachi.

~ Joshua Sellers

隐士

#2 2016-06-10 13:29:59

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: Getting back in the saddle

Welcome to the forum, Yinshi!
I hope you can use the forum. Also check out the European Shakuhachi Soceity's list of teachers - although they are from Europe. You should check if there is someone near you. smile
Have fun!!!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer