Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-10-09 10:41:09

amokrun

Upcoming "event" - what to play?

I have a fairly interesting event coming up. We are planning to run a short presentation in my old school to some students about shakuhachi. It's a long story, but the general idea is that we have roughly 45 minutes or some such and we can talk about anything really. The whole idea started as a joke, but eventually it didn't sound like such a bad idea after all.

I have a fairly good idea of what I'm going to talk about. However, I would like to include a couple of short pieces in the presentation to give everyone an idea of what kind of music we are talking about. Preferably I'd like to have both traditional music and something closer to typical western music. Since I can't play difficult pieces all that well, I'll have to stick to something fairly easy.

Are there any particular pieces, new or old, that you could recommend? The only piece I'm thinking of so far is Sakura. My girlfriend promised to sing it with me, so that should make things a bit more interesting. Other than that, I don't really know. Kyorei was something I thought about, but it's rather long unless I just play a part of it. I'll have one standard 1.8 flute and one longer jinashi flute to use for the presentation, so I'll most likely end up playing the more melodic songs with the 1.8 and the traditional ones with the jinashi flute. Pieces that have lyrics are very much welcome, as my girlfriend is a much better singer than I am at playing. Thus, she can most likely sing anything that I can play. Furthermore, we can make copies of those songs for the class to play/sing in the future. They do that a lot and I'm sure they would appreciate new material.

Let me know if you can think of anything.

#2 2006-10-09 20:09:44

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Upcoming "event" - what to play?

If you have the time to learn/practice it before the event, I'd recommend Honshirabe or Choshi (slight variants of the same piece).
It's only a bit over three minutes long, and I think it's more interesting to the uninitiated ear than Kyorei.

You can find an mp3 of Honshirabe here: http://www.bamboo-in.com/shop/01Honshirabe.mp3 played by Alcvin Ramos (direct download link).

There are playing instructions here: http://www.bamboo-in.com/pdf/Hon%20Shir … ctions.pdf also by Al Ramos.

The audio recording is played on a 1.8 for easier learning.

Here's an mp3 of Al playing Honshirabe  on a 2.9 flute: http://www.bamboo-in.com/shop/HonshirabeYin.mp3

I'd also suggest a short Minyo piece for the more modern, lyrical sounding example. Don't have any handy links to recordings for such, however.
Perhaps someone else does?

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer