Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-10-31 15:31:29

rob+kat

finish over bindings?

Hello,
My question is, what finish to apply to bindings, and any other pointers on noninvasive protective procedures until a pro can look at it??
  Thinking clear top shelf nail polish on here, but unsure about solvents on synthetic fibers . I can whip a rope, no big dif that I can see on that part.
I am a rookie, got an ebay !.8  shipped to Ohio from Japan, "sound can be produced" hundred bucks, seems fair, even if its only a "personal zen meditation tool".  What the hey, its an important flute to me. Bottom line is what to do so modern dry central heat does not ruin it?
I hit it with walnut oil, best thing I could figure out, to oil or not to oil is a question, as a wood carver it does seem like a good idea.
Thanks in advance,
Rob

#2 2006-10-31 15:50:55

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: finish over bindings?

Hi Rob.

have you thought about 20lbs monofilment line? You won't need to paint over these bindings. If you find some in grey/green, they look pretty good on old flutes. I know repairmen in Japan who would rather usefishing line than inlaid rattan because of the concerns you raise. Although the inlays a re qyuite beautiful when done well, I too would rather use non invasive topical bindings. If you prefer thread, clear lacquer would work well to hold them in place. I would store the flute in an air tight container (like a plastic tube) with a small 2" x 2" moist rag as a humidifier (moist, not wet) . Any bigger would invite mold.

If you post a photo on this thread, I'm sure many here would offer suggestions.

Best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2006-10-31 16:29:48

rob+kat

Re: finish over bindings?

Thanks Perry,
The monofilament it is. The main concern was solvents on synthetics ,  "won't need to paint over these "  was just what I needed to know right now.
We like this little jinashi cause it puts you right in trance very easily.
More later.
Thanks to this whole list for supporting those on this path,
rob of rob and kat

Board footer