Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-11-07 20:46:10

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Shakuhachi and Koto Concert, Kochi, Japan, November 10

If there happens to be anyone with an interest in shakuhachi or koto passing through Shikoku Island this weekend, there will be a shakuhachi and koto concert at Kochi's Bijitsukan (Art Museum) Hall this Friday evening (November 10) starting at 6:30 p.m. featuring the Ayane Kai koto group and local Kinko, Tozan, and Ueda ryu shakuhachi players.  I'll be playing shakuhachi in two duets -- Seikibetsu No Mai and Shika No Tone -- with guest koto player Haruko Watanabe who'll be arriving from adjoining Ehime prefecture and also in a more traditional duet of the latter piece with my sensei, shakuhachi master Ikezoe Kyodo.  The concert will open with Miyagi Michio's Haru No Umi and will feature both modern and traditional pieces.

#2 2006-11-07 21:40:59

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: Shakuhachi and Koto Concert, Kochi, Japan, November 10

I maybe be around:-)

Can you videotaped Dan?

#3 2006-11-08 16:12:17

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Best wishes for this event, Dan, rock on! Or blow on!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2006-11-08 22:36:26

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Thanks Tairaku.  I actually did a little rocking on over the weekend down on the island of Kyushu, a collaboration with several other 'gaijin' language teachers from Shikoku and Kyushu, all attending an annual teachers' conference down there.   We put together a band with the improbable name of Prince Rupert's Metal (which is a kind of brass used to imitate gold; nothing to do with Metal music) for the one event and performed at a local rock venue called Fuse in a basement club for about fifty people; I played 1.6 shakuhachi for a couple of Hendrix tunes, including Little Wing and Voodoo Chile, also for some Santana  (we mostly did covers as that was something we were able to practice for ahead of time as we only got one practice in at the studio) in addition to joining in on a couple of original tunes written by the bass player, an American who has been playing electric bass (and koto) for a couple of decades in Kyushu.  We had a powerful Japanese drummer with the self appointed title of "drum king of Kyushu" (who miked every single drum on his massive kit) who runs one of the rock studios down there; he did a one man show before we went on, and we were followed by a local Chicago style blues band.  It was a lot of fun!  Tomorrow's show is a more formal affair... more like blowing on, I suppose...

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2006-11-08 22:40:22)

Board footer