Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Idea for caste bore flute I've been thinking of doing

#1 2005-12-05 20:07:53

Bogert

Idea for caste bore flute I've been thinking of doing

Hello,
    I have been working on a 1.6 flute with the idea to cast the bore.  Here is what I have done, and am planning to do.  I prepared the bamboo first.  Then I took a stick which at the widest point is the biggest for the inside of the size flute, then I carved it to look like what the bore will be with a knife.  Then I caste the stick in plaster.  Next I'm going to find a flexible (cause the bamboo curves) and inexpensive material to caste with, any ideas on that?  After that I will put that casting in the flute and caste around that with plaster most likely, of course making sure not to fill in the finger holes and whatnot , will that work? Any thoughts on this idea?  Then after that I'd tweak with it until it was finished.  This is the first flute that isn't jinashi that I'd be doing so it is an experiment for me.  I just thought I'd see what you all thought about it before I spent anymore money or wasted a nice piece of bamboo. 
                                                                               Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#2 2005-12-06 21:41:45

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Idea for caste bore flute I've been thinking of doing

Hi Chris. Welcome to the forum.

I suppose plaster could work in the FLUTE, but unless you seal the bore first, it sucks the moisture from the bamboo and cracks it easily. It's also heavy and often brittle. I haven't had the best of luck with it. But that's just my experience. Polyurethane Casting Resin seems to work pretty well for casting in the flute.

For making the flexible bore negative, there are two part urethanes (with varied strength and flexibility) available that work well. You can check the samples of all these materials at TAP plastics or any other plastics/casting/moldmaking store to get an idea of which ones will work for your specific purposes. The specialized stores will have more selection. Toxicity, weight, flexibility, hardness, shrinkage are all important considerations.

There are many ways to go about this. These are things I've had luck with through trial and error. Mistakes are good.

Good luck!

Ken

#3 2005-12-06 23:40:38

Bogert

Re: Idea for caste bore flute I've been thinking of doing

Okay, thanks.  Yeah my biggest reservation was that the plaster could crack the bamboo with its heat during drying or shrink and crack itself.   You can give yourself 3rd degree burns if you were to try and caste an arm or leg in it.  I'll definately check out some of those other things you mentioned.  I've found things that would work, but were exspensive.  Mistakes are good, they let you progress, I've made many so hopefully I'm progressing.  Thanks for advice.

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Idea for caste bore flute I've been thinking of doing

Board footer