Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-11-14 23:20:49

amokrun

Computer notation - continued. (image warning)

Greetings everyone,

As I mentioned before, I've been playing around with all kinds of computer notation concepts. It'll take a good while before I can make something that works easily enough for anyone to create notation using it. Before that, however, I need to figure out various things.

There was some talk earlier about displaying notation here on this forum. Using written characters has several downsides. Some people can't see and write them and they can't easily express all the notes (tsu chu meri ends up looking funny, for example). I was thinking that using images to display some short (or long, why not) pieces of notation would work just fine for everyone if there was an easy way to do it.

I wrote a quick and ugly program that is about half done now. This simply takes obscure notation descriptions and turns them into visual notation. I hope I'm not breaking the forum layout by showing these here. Both pictures show the notation for Sakura (close enough, anyway) with different page size.

http://null.maimed.org/~amokrun/shakunotes/img_6.png

http://null.maimed.org/~amokrun/shakunotes/img_13.png

As seen here, the program can currently layout the notation in the traditional manner and control the length of the page. The current system is capable of printing most basic notes (otsu minus some special notes, kan minus few more special notes but no dai kan), as well as some special characters such as breath marks, octave markers, atari and ending markers. Adding more is easy enough and simply requires more symbols. The current ones aren't exactly pretty, I just made them in a rush to demonstrate this. If anyone has a complete set of kinko symbols to donate for a good cause, here you have it. They should preferably be a font that can be resized as need arises.

Currently the program lacks support for tempo markers (dots on the side, lines going through the notes, the honkyoku-style lines etc.), some special notation (most obvious in honkyoku where the notation gets a bit crazy at times) and really needs a better system for positioning. The reason why some parts seem a bit weird now is that the program pays no attention to positioning and thus things like breath marks take too much space when they really don't need to. Optimally atari should take less space than ro and breath mark should take no space at all. This is being worked on.

I quickly tested this on some simple notation from Carl Abbott's Blowing Zen book. I could write most of the early songs already except for the beat markers of course. I'm still unsure how to implement the tempo markers, especially those lines that most honkyoku notations use. The beat markers are a tad difficult and the background lines are trivial. Given that the program so far didn't take a whole lot of time to make, I doubt some basic beat mark system should be that difficult either.

Okay, here's how you can help. Since I'm a beginner with very little experience outside (or even in for that matter) kinko notation, I would love to get listings of what kind of notation should be doable. I can figure out the basic notation that is present in every fingering chart but it would be a lot of help to get suggestions on less common notation, such as different vibrato markers and what have you. I'm hoping to come up with a list soon that contains all the notation I know for different notation types. At that point you can easily tell me the ones I missed.

Let me know your thoughts so far. I can handle the technical side just fine but I'd love help with figuring out the outlook issues and the notation itself. Once this system works so well that I can express most notation out there in it, I can work on a way for anyone to create the said notation.

#2 2006-11-15 02:57:01

dstone
Website

Re: Computer notation - continued. (image warning)

amokrun wrote:

If anyone has a complete set of kinko symbols to donate for a good cause, here you have it. They should preferably be a font that can be resized as need arises.

I can't offer you a complete set of symbols, but there might be a few more you can leverage in this partial Kinko font here.  No modifers/effects or rhythm symbols, but at least it's TTF so it's scalable without pixelation.

Good looking progress on your program!

As I might have mentioned, I'm working on a similar project so we should definitely end up sharing file formats for compatibility.  Or even more collaboration, if that works.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2006-11-15 03:56:22

amokrun

dstone wrote:

No modifers/effects or rhythm symbols, but at least it's TTF so it's scalable without pixelation.

I'll look into that. What I'm currently using is also based on TTF fonts. It just turns the results into PNG files for easy access on the net. The idea with this thing is to enable people to easily write web-usable notation. Naturally the same thing scales for printing or just storing notation, but that's more like a bonus.

dstone wrote:

As I might have mentioned, I'm working on a similar project so we should definitely end up sharing file formats for compatibility.  Or even more collaboration, if that works.

Yeah, I would love to work together with people. I have bunch of small applications done for my own use. Most of them lack decent user interfaces at this point and thus I haven't given them to anyone yet. I plan on polishing them a bit and placing them on a site I'm working on so that everyone can get the advantage that computers have to offer for aspiring shakuhachi players.

I'm actually a tad curious if all this would work over the net rather than using dedicated programs you need to download and run. High quality and easily usable interface may be a tad tricky to make, but currently all that notation you see in those pictures is done using a simple web browser. If I can find a way to write all this so that one can simply go to some site and start working, I think I'll do that. It would save me from the problems with different people using different systems and thus needing different software. Time will tell how well that works.

#4 2006-11-15 04:28:27

dstone
Website

Having something that was browser-based is an interesting idea.  Certainly removes (or reduces) all the Mac/Windows/Linux/etc. issues.

Also nice for collaborative composition or sharing a finished work.  But maybe not so nice for offline use.

On the shared file format...  I think a lot about software design.  Too much, probably -- job hazard.  I think it's excellent that more than one person wants to work on this stuff and also good even if we end up making different applications that target different uses.  Just like flutes or paper or ink, there doesn't need to be (nor could there be) one "best" program to fit all needs.  But if we can keep a large degree of compatibility between data/file formats then things can progress at whatever pace and at least users won't have their work locked into one programmer's mercy.  <end-philosophy/>

Drop me an email and we can discuss more.

On a related note...  There's a very interesting (and mature) western notation project...   with the emphasis placed on beautiful engraved-style typesetting...  LilyPond  I looked seriously at their architecture and wondered if shakuhachi notation could be a sane extension to that project...  my conclusion was no.  But that's certainly not the last word on it.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#5 2006-11-15 05:21:30

amokrun

dstone wrote:

Also nice for collaborative composition or sharing a finished work.  But maybe not so nice for offline use.

You can, to some extent, run web services like that locally. Still, we are heading more and more towards a world where there is a connection available everywhere. Local applications are becoming less and less important. Still, I'm sure that some kind of local mock web server would do the trick.

dstone wrote:

On the shared file format...  I think a lot about software design.  Too much, probably -- job hazard.  I think it's excellent that more than one person wants to work on this stuff and also good even if we end up making different applications that target different uses.  Just like flutes or paper or ink, there doesn't need to be (nor could there be) one "best" program to fit all needs.  But if we can keep a large degree of compatibility between data/file formats then things can progress at whatever pace and at least users won't have their work locked into one programmer's mercy.  <end-philosophy/>

Certainly. There are also different ways to approach this issue. My current application is basically just a typesetting program rather than a notation program. It can make nice notation sheets but writing the actual notation is painful. Say, if you wrote an application that is easy to use and can turn it into something my program understands, you can use my program to print your notation out. This is a fairly typical approach in Unix world, where you typically have one program that works with the user and another that actually performs the task. It is a nice way to share the workload when one person can focus on one aspect of the problem (printing good-looking notation, being user-friendly etc.)

dstone wrote:

Drop me an email and we can discuss more.

Will do.

dstone wrote:

On a related note...  There's a very interesting (and mature) western notation project...   with the emphasis placed on beautiful engraved-style typesetting...  LilyPond  I looked seriously at their architecture and wondered if shakuhachi notation could be a sane extension to that project...  my conclusion was no.  But that's certainly not the last word on it.

I figured that it wouldn't work to use an existing engine. Shakuhachi notation has some concepts that don't map well into western notation. The way timing is done can be very different. Writing in different direction (top to bottom rather than left to right) may require changes to the layout system. There are also several different notations in here rather than just one. A common wisdom in the programming circles is that if your changes are rather dramatic, making something new is always faster and better.

Since you brought Lilypond up, however, I figured that I'd throw out another name. http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ is a project that uses Lilypond to write all kinds of classical pieces and then shares them online. Since they are old songs and re-written by someone, it is possible to distribute them for free to anyone. Although I can see the differences between shakuhachi notation and western notation (shakuhachi notation by itself is of limited use), I do have to admit that I'm a bit drawn to that idea. I hate to even think just how much shakuhachi notation has been lost over the course of years.

Board footer