•  » Reviews
  •  » READ FIRST before posting in this forum:

#1 2006-09-30 10:17:23

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

READ FIRST before posting in this forum:

Hello forum members,

It is with apprehension that I start this forum.

We have had a very civil Shakuhachi Forum here since the beginning. Reviewing each others products and work could possibly create dissent and conflict. But I'm willing to give it a try at the request of several members.

This forum is for the review of any shakuhachi related items from books, notation, CD's, etc. to flutes and makers, to teachers.

There are a lot of beginners on this forum who are enthusiastic about the shakuhachi but don't know how to wade through everything and spend their time and money wisely. This forum could help them.

I'd like to establish the tone and some ground rules for posting in this forum:

1. For purposes of searching the archives, ONE REVIEW ITEM PER TOPIC. In other words don't take a CD review and start talking about a bunch of other CD's. Of course comparing the CD in question to others is fine, but don't review a completely different CD. Create a new topic.

2. Be civil. People take their work seriously so make sure your reviews are not flippant. These reviews might live here in cyberspace permanently so be cool.

3. For creators: If you write a book, release a CD or make a flute and sell these things you are a public figure whether or not you realize it or want to be one. This means you open yourself up to criticism. That comes with the territory. If there is any negative criticism, take it gracefully.

Ken and I don't have to do a lot of moderating here, because the forum members have been GREAT and haven't caused any problems. Let's try to keep it this way while still increasing the valuable flow of information.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2006-12-12 14:54:50

de_Genova

Re: READ FIRST before posting in this forum:

Tairaku......Could you please do a review type of a look at a set of 4 discs that I ordered recenty, but have not recieived them yet.  I ordered some Shakuhachi discs, a video and all the sheet music for the songs on the discs. I took a chance because the price is not a small thing, but I had a good sense about the purchase so I went ahead with it. The artist’s name is Minoru Muraoka, and he’s very well liked in Japan, for sure, and he’s well traveled and well received and in other parts of the world. Perhaps he’s a bit ‘modern’ in his approach to playing – and its for that reason that I am wondering what you all might think and if you know about him. Thank you for any comments you might want to contribute. PD

Last edited by de_Genova (2006-12-12 15:02:25)

Don't take any wooden nickles!

#3 2006-12-13 08:06:15

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

de_Genova wrote:

Tairaku......Could you please do a review type of a look at a set of 4 discs that I ordered recenty, but have not recieived them yet.  I ordered some Shakuhachi discs, a video and all the sheet music for the songs on the discs. I took a chance because the price is not a small thing, but I had a good sense about the purchase so I went ahead with it. The artist’s name is Minoru Muraoka, and he’s very well liked in Japan, for sure, and he’s well traveled and well received and in other parts of the world. Perhaps he’s a bit ‘modern’ in his approach to playing – and its for that reason that I am wondering what you all might think and if you know about him. Thank you for any comments you might want to contribute. PD

Ciao de Genova, non conoscevo quel CD e libro, forse altri gente nel foro. Io sono a Ferrara adesso, per tre piu di giorni, se vuale una lezione.

I don't know this product, has anybody else seen it?

#4 2006-12-13 09:34:35

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Bravo tairaku.
Mi piace il tuo italiano..da quando lo parli?
Philipe..Lo devi prendere il lezione con tairaku.
g

#5 2006-12-14 06:32:06

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

geni wrote:

Bravo tairaku.
Mi piace il tuo italiano..da quando lo parli?

g

Per una o due settimane ogni un or due anni per vent'anni. Dopo la settimana e finita dementico quasi tutto. Anch'e ho visto tanti filmi Italiano.

#6 2006-12-15 18:04:08

Larry Tyrrell
Website

Hello,

I'm a little disoriented suddenly. Ought this not be better directed as private
e-mail between consenting Italian speaking correspondents?  I feel a little
voyeuristic reading it (as best I can with my Spanish, Portuguese and French).

By the way, how did your move go, Brian and did you ever get that CD
off to me that you mentioned?

Hope it is going well for you.

Larry

#7 2006-12-16 03:46:16

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Larry Tyrrell wrote:

Hello,

I'm a little disoriented suddenly. Ought this not be better directed as private
e-mail between consenting Italian speaking correspondents?  I feel a little
voyeuristic reading it (as best I can with my Spanish, Portuguese and French).

By the way, how did your move go, Brian and did you ever get that CD
off to me that you mentioned?

Hope it is going well for you.

Larry

Hi Larry,

It's an international forum, people can post in any language they want, including Klingon! Let's hope Kiku Day doesn't start posting in Danish. That's more baffling than Italian.

The move went well Larry, although I haven't been able to spend much time in Australia yet because of touring Europe and the States.

Thanks for reminding me to send you the CD. I was waiting for the new one and it's here now, so you'll have them by Xmas!

Ciao,

BR

#8 2006-12-16 04:09:42

amokrun

Tairaku wrote:

It's an international forum, people can post in any language they want, including Klingon! Let's hope Kiku Day doesn't start posting in Danish. That's more baffling than Italian.

Danish is not bad at all. I could try some Finnish, which is rather painful for most people. In fact, I have a chart here which gives some kind of estimate as to how hard some language is for someone who speaks English. Danish is, in fact, ranked into the first category (the easiest, that is) whereas Finnish is in the group three (out of four). The only more annoying languages are Arabic, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Naturally all those languages have unique character systems which is no doubt the reason why they rank so high. It tells something about Finnish that it's ranked into the same level as languages like Thai, Russian and Vietnamese which all have unique character systems as well. Finnish has no such thing and it's still very, very painful to learn.

For the curious:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~wbaxter/howhard.html

Sorry to side-track the discussion. I'm just bitter that I learned a language that is painfully hard and spoken by pretty much nobody.

#9 2006-12-16 12:59:37

Larry Tyrrell
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Hi Larry,

BR

大楽様、

かしこまりました。

レアリー

#10 2006-12-16 15:35:04

dstone
Website

Larry Tyrrell wrote:

大楽様、

かしこまりました。

レアリー

I'll bet this isn't what you said, Larry, but when I naively plug that kanji & kana into the Altavista translator, I get:

Large easy way, the oak it was troubled.

Profound.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#11 2006-12-16 22:36:24

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

Isnt Finnish the closest related language to Japanese? I remember reading this back in a linguistics class in grad school. Seems odd since they are a bit far apart....
many Finnish names sound Japanese! Once a friend called and said, "i am coming over with a film by Aki Kaurasmaki". I assumed he was brining over a Japanese film. Was quite surprised it was a Finnish film and even more surprised by how great it was and the amazing band in the film and the awesome cameo by Jim Jarmusch.
"Leningrad Cowboys Go America" was the film.

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi player, teacher & vegetarian chef
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#12 2006-12-17 02:38:42

amokrun

philipgelb wrote:

Isnt Finnish the closest related language to Japanese? I remember reading this back in a linguistics class in grad school. Seems odd since they are a bit far apart....

I've heard some such quotes myself. There are some things that at least help in learning one if you know another. For one, you tend to pronounce the words more or less the same. I can instantly tell how to pronounce a name in Japanese whereas someone who speaks English would most likely get that wrong without any guidance. There are very few differences and simply reading things like you would if you were reading Finnish is usually good enough.

Another similarity is that you often inflect words in various ways instead of adding words. In Finnish, there are tons of ways to change a word slightly to change its meaning. You can indeed make a word three times as long by simply stacking up modifiers. During the short time I have self-studied Japanese, this seems to be there case there as well (although it's not as bad there). You have words like わかる and わからない where an speaker if English would normally use another helper word to get the meaning through. For a speaker of Finnish, though, that kind of things are rather natural.

#13 2006-12-17 17:53:22

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

OK Dudes and Dudettes...
Back to the original question "Who is Minoru Muaoka?"
Muraoka-Sensei has been around for a LONG time, and was one of the first JAZZ Shakuhachi players in Japan (of the "Harlem Noctourne" type variety). He was also in the original Ensemble Nipponia (NIHON ONGAKU SHUDAN), along with Miyata Kohachiro and Yokoyama Katsuya. When he and Yokoyama-Sensei left they were replaced by Mitsuhashi Kifu and Masayuki Koga (for awhile). Later Sakata Seizan also entered the group. Not a bad group of Shakuhachi players, eh !

I had the great privilege to tour/stage manage this group twice and work closely with Miyata-Sensei and Kifu-Sensei (with whom I have performed in Tokyo, Okinawa, and New York)

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#14 2007-06-20 09:23:26

Hal TAylor

Internet and SKYPE.
I'm a student of Chikuzen and recently we've attempted lessons over the internet with excellent results.  If you don't already know SKYPE is a phone service over the interent. It is both audio and video. More important it is free.  When Chikuzen moved away from Ann Arbor to Cleveland our face to face lessons became less frequent and as a new student I was sure that my playing would suffer.  However we began to meet more frequently on SKYPE.  Using the audio and visual link our lessons progressed nicely and because we could meet more frequently we did. The best technique thus far from this end is the mirror playing, it forces the student to concentrate on the sound and the technique.  Music is easily sent over the internet and discussions proceed as before. There are very few draw-backs, and these  are resolved by face to face contact. Long and short lessons are possible and the nature of each lesson can be focussed in any format you choose.  Chickuzens' creative use of the internet is worth looking into.   Hal

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » READ FIRST before posting in this forum:

Board footer