Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-12-15 10:58:11

amokrun

What is that effect called...?

I'm sure some of you have seen japanese movies, especially historical ones, where they occasionally play a few notes when something important happens. There are countless combinations like that but one keeps appearing over and over. I would love to know if it has roots somewhere (kabuki, maybe?).

Unfortunately I don't have a sound clip to present right now, but I will later on if my explanation isn't enough. The short clip I'm thinking of is played most likely in the upper part of kan register or maybe even in dai kan. It has three notes, first two are short but the last one slowly fades away, creating a kind of di-di-daaaa pattern. The last note is a bit lower than the first two.

Let me know if that explanation makes any sense. If not, I can try to dig up a sound clip from somewhere and post it here. I'm rather curious how to play that particular bit, if for no other reason than curiosity.

#2 2006-12-15 19:32:43

edosan
Edomologist

Re: What is that effect called...?

What you are probably describing is:

Ri-Tsu-Re-------- [Ri, followed quickly by Tsu-kan, followed quickly by Re-kan, which is usually sustained. The Ri-Tsu figure could be
     considered a 'grace note' for the Re.]

A common element in the shakuhachi vocabulary, most often used to initiate a phrase.

There are many subtle variations possible using it, the tricky part is getting the timing just right.

The same figure can also be done as: Ri-Tsu-otsu-Re-otsu----

Most of the variations work around the timing between Ri and Tsu: sometimes very quick, sometimes more slowly.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2006-12-15 19:39:13)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2006-12-15 20:53:49

caffeind

Im guessing that the flute you heard was a shinobue or nohkan. They are both played with short bursts of notes followed by long tones. I dont know why this pattern is followed. Ive heard the same thing in various tv shows and movies, like The Samurai. The flute playing from the castle in the film Kagemusha also comes to mind.

#4 2006-12-16 03:39:55

amokrun

edosan wrote:

Ri-Tsu-Re-------- [Ri, followed quickly by Tsu-kan, followed quickly by Re-kan, which is usually sustained. The Ri-Tsu figure could be considered a 'grace note' for the Re.]

Ayup, that certainly seems to be one of those patterns. It took me a while to get the timing down for that. It sounded weird at first until I got the notes to blend together so that it's hard to tell that you are blowing three separate notes. At that point it sounds very natural and exactly what I was thinking of. It's amazingly hard to switch from Tsu to Re so that the sound blends naturally but the Tsu still appears. That is something I will definitely keep in mind. Thanks.

Board footer