World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-12-14 21:27:42

Josh
PhD
Website

Movies

I was wondering if anyone has any information on Komuso in movies? You can often hear the shakuhachi in the background of Jidaigeki, samurai period drama, but does anyone know of any movies where some of the characters are Komuso? Prefferably the lead but..   I often hear stories of the ronin/dandy type of shakuhachi weilding ruffian which seems like a good base for some of these jidaigeki but can't seem to see any actual komuso.

#2 2005-12-15 14:10:42

rpowers

Re: Movies

Josh wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has any information on Komuso in movies? You can often hear the shakuhachi in the background of Jidaigeki, samurai period drama, but does anyone know of any movies where some of the characters are Komuso? Prefferably the lead but..   I often hear stories of the ronin/dandy type of shakuhachi weilding ruffian which seems like a good base for some of these jidaigeki but can't seem to see any actual komuso.

When you do find komuso in films, you might not like what you see. In chambara (a couple of the Ogami Itto/Baby Cart films come to mind), you will most likely see the "spies diguised as monks" stereotype. They usually make a brief appearance before falling victim to the (anti)hero's blade.

Rich

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

Board footer