World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-10-27 21:04:42

nyokai
shihan
Website

"The Single Tone"

OK, everybody has GOT to check out Christopher Yohmei Blaisdel's book "The Single Tone" (you can get it from www.shakuhachi.com). It's a wonderfully written introduction to shakuhachi, music, listening, Japanese culture, and many many other things. I can't recommend it highly enough.

#2 2005-10-27 23:10:45

JeffMartindale
Website

Re: "The Single Tone"

Terrific book. I also highly recommend. It's a great mix of shakuhachi and education about Japanese culture. I'm actually still in the process of finishing the book. Another good book to get is "Blowing Zen:Finding an Authentic Life" by Ray Brooks.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
        Mark Twain

#3 2005-12-10 00:51:39

saille

I just finished reading both books.  Blowing Zen was more of a ride (as in, I couldn't put it down!) but I found a paragraph in The Single Tone which I copied straight into my journal.  This was his summary of the work of Chikamatsu (playwright).  I have been wondering whether bringing up the structure of traditional Japanese pedagogy would be appropriate on this forum . . . I wonder whether I'm the only person here hesitant to establish a relationship with a teacher.  Here's the passage in question:

" . . . Chikamatsu's great genius was in writing plays that made public the individual's inner conflicts, ones inevitable in an autocratic state.  His characters keenly felt the human desires of romantic love, sex and filial affection, but these feelings had to be sublimated for loyalty and devotion to the authorities.  Conflict arose when these private yearnings--usually through circumstances beyond control--came into direct opposition to their public lives.  Tragically, these conflicts could only be resolved with the ultimate sacrifice of suicide or, in less serious cases, exile."

While the above sounds melodramatic, it's bizarre how accurately it describes the end of my experience in traditional martial arts.  Is musical pedagogy, I wonder, a field loaded with the same mines?  I wonder whether it would be possible to discuss this.  Have other people felt these tensions?

Maybe, on the other hand, this particular can of worms should not be opened.

#4 2005-12-10 09:30:46

nyokai
shihan
Website

saille wrote:

I wonder whether I'm the only person here hesitant to establish a relationship with a teacher.

I have always been a "question authority" kind of person, especially since the authorities have so often felt a need to question ME. But when it comes to learning a particular skill, I love returning to the role of a beginner, letting go of what I think I should learn, softening up and absorbing whatever wisdom a master has to offer. Sometimes this wisdom comes with cultural baggage. For children, the cultural baggage can be devastating -- our OWN educational system is a case in point. But as adults I think we can keep things in perspective, learning techniques and even adjusting our philosophical outlook without giving our souls away. Sometimes I think we're way too afraid of losing our mythical American individualism, as if it were an endangered species. The real danger to our individualism is not the dojo but the mall.

Chris' book seems like a corrective, in some ways. He knows what objections an American is going to raise and answers them in advance, occasionally with the annoyingly righteous fervor of a Westerner who has "put in his time" while the rest of us merely sift through the tradition for easily-gleaned jewels. I can totally see his point.

I think you'll find that many teachers these days are pretty flexible and have absorbed a variety of approaches to pedagogy. Take the whole issue of gaikyoku. Chances are that you are not going to find a teacher in America who insists that you learn fifty or sixty sankyoku pieces before touching honkyoku. Most recognize that it doesn't make sense in a culture where it is difficult to find koto and shamisen players to play with. So there is a continuum of approaches: some teach only honkyoku, some teach lots of gaikyoku but switch it up with periods of honkyoku, some teach fewer of the sankyoku pieces than is customary in Japan. If you are lucky enough to find a teacher at all, I think it's good to follow his or her lead in this area rather than always trying to figure out for yourself what you need. No matter what, you will learn something very valuable, even if it's not precisely what you had projected you would learn. To get the most from any kind of teaching, I have found it is best to let the teacher be the stubborn one in the relationship.

I taught other disciplines (Western and Eastern) before shakuhachi, so my personal style is based on a variety of approaches. But it is rooted in the Japanese take on discipline: respect for the kata, for the tradition, for all the centuries of experience that have gone into this art. I feel that I OWE my students some of the more difficult aspects of the process.

By the way, I have only had three suicides so far, and they were all people who couldn't get the second octave anyway.

#5 2005-12-10 16:22:03

saille

I guess what I'm asking is: in a traditional teacher-student relationship, can the authority of the teacher be expected to extend beyond the field itself--i.e., beyond music?  Because in my experience in martial arts, this was the expectation.  The more deeply involved I became with the art, the more authority was exerted by my teachers over all aspects of my life, even those totally unrelated.  --To the point where now, having ended that, my family flips out at the mere suggestion that I might start it again . . .

Submitting absolutely, categorically, to the wisdom of a teacher within music, or martial arts, or whatever, is one thing, but surrendering beyond the confines of that art is quite another, particularly as a beginner has no way to evaluate the teacher beforehand, except on the basis of proficiency in the art.  Which does not, necessarily, go hand in hand with benevolence.

Maybe what I encountered before was an abuse, or at the least an extreme.  ??  I just wonder where, traditionally, the boundaries are.

nyokai wrote:

By the way, I have only had three suicides so far, and they were all people who couldn't get the second octave anyway.

Uh-oh, looks like I'm in danger, I'll have to make sure not to tempt fate by practicing on the roofs of any tall buildings before kan is secure

#6 2005-12-10 16:30:23

nyokai
shihan
Website

saille wrote:

Maybe what I encountered before was an abuse, or at the least an extreme.  ??  I just wonder where, traditionally, the boundaries are.

A teacher who attempts to control a student's life outside the limited context of the particular discipline itself is clearly abusing the student-teacher relationship. I have never heard of a shakuhachi teacher, no matter how traditional or untraditional, doing anything like this.

#7 2005-12-11 17:47:03

saille

Mmmn, that comes as something of a relief.  Because the art itself is so very beautiful, and I am aware of the impossibility of learning well without guidance.

I'm sorry to have taken this thread off-track a bit (although these issues were touched on in both books).  Thank you for tolerating wild newbie concerns and comments--domo arigato gozaimashita.

#8 2005-12-16 23:41:27

steven

I appreciate this exchange regarding teacher student relationships. I've been a student of meditation for over 12 years and I've seen a fair amount of abuse, mostly mild in nature, and I've heard stories of considerably more bouncing around different communiteis. I personally have been lucky to find ethical teachers with genuine compassion from whom I've benefited a great deal. I too am leary of authority and have had my run ins with the boss. But I relate to nyokai's comments about embracing the tradition. This can be a wonderful process if it is done with wisdom and compassion.

Steven

Board footer