Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-01-10 20:01:26

matthew

Fruit of the Forum...

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to share a couple of photos of what I have been working on.  Many of you have helped by answering questions and providing inspiration so I thought it would be nice to show you how things are developing.  These flutes are not yet finished, but I’m beginning to think they never will be.  Anyway, they are a couple of big fellows made from dead in the ground bamboo.  They are in no way excellent instruments, but I’m enjoying working with them and really appreciate this forum.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2148/shak2oi2.jpg
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6941/shak5st5.jpg
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4334/shak1iy4.jpg
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2197/shak4fk1.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the help,
Matthew

Last edited by matthew (2007-01-10 20:17:41)

#2 2007-01-10 20:58:43

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Fruit of the Forum...

I like the looks of the dark one. What length is it?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2007-01-10 21:30:28

matthew

The dark one is around a 2.4 with a bore that's pushing 40mm.  I'm guessing the color is a result of standing in the forest facing the elements.  The fundamental is an F sharp almost spot on.  I'm really interested in bass sounds and experimental music and I have seen a couple of photos of you (Brian) playing really big stuff and some photos of Watazumi with some awesome flutes so I thought I'd give it a go.  So far it's working out okay, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get the second octave worked out at all, but I am enjoying the challange.

Thanks for looking.

#4 2007-01-10 21:35:14

kyoreiflutes
Website

Yeah, both are great, but the dark one's really nice.  How are you finding the action to be? I'm always interested in talking to others starting to make flutes. I got started right before the forum was up, so I bugged Perry and Ken a ton, the poor guys. It's really great that there's so much amazing information and sharing here, it really makes it easier to get started on flutemaking and playing.

Great job!

-E

EDIT: Hadn't seen that you posted more about the 2.4. I couldn't tell what size it was exactly. I bet it's nice to play, with some good overtones.

Have you adjusted your hole sizes yet? what have you done with the bore so far?

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2007-01-10 21:38:37)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#5 2007-01-10 21:45:14

dstone
Website

Great looking flutes, Matthew, both of them!  And thanks for sharing the photos.

That's a massive flute.  I expect you're planning to round/shape the back of the mouthpiece?

Nice job on the insert.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#6 2007-01-10 21:46:28

matthew

I completely agree the forum is a wonderful resource.  I’ve wanted to try making shakuhachi for a long time, but didn’t know where to start and always thought that if you weren’t going to use ji and urushi that you were cheating or lazy or something.  Boy has my tune changed.

I guess I would describe the playability as smooth.  I can only compare it to bass Native American Flutes that I have owned or played.  I would say that it plays like that, but with bending capabilities that make it really fun.  I have a two little boys and I have been playing music for them to go to sleep by for the last eight years (since the birth of my oldest).  The last week I have been playing this flute and it seems to do a good job at calming their little minds.

Last edited by matthew (2007-01-11 04:36:50)

#7 2007-01-23 12:25:23

bluespiderweb

Now see, I like the lighter of the two, and really like the stripe in it.  It reminds me of my first shakuhachi from Perry that had a similar stripe down the length of it.  Matthew, what are the particulars for the smaller flute?

I do like the look of the big beast 2.4 too, though!  Yes, nice job on both, Matthew, and thanks for sharing the pictures!

Be well,  Barry

#8 2007-01-24 23:13:26

matthew

Hey All,
The lighter colored shakuhachi is around 65 centimeters long with a bore around 30 millimeters.  It had the stripe when I pulled it from the ground and I’m not sure what caused it, but I kind of like the look of it also.  Ro plays a spot on B flat so I was really pumped about how this flute might turn out, but I made what I feel is a terrible mistake and lacquered the bore with Kashu.

I have worked with a pretty wide range of finishes, solvents, adhesives and glues, but I have never experienced anything as foul smelling as this stuff.  It’s just nasty and I certainly don’t want to take deep breaths with this flute under my nose…so I’m basically shelving it for now.  Maybe the smell will disappear in time, but I can assure you I won’t go down that road again.

I’ve been wondering if anyone else has pictures of what they are working on to post here.  I’d love to see what else is going on in the world of bamboo manipulation.

Until Later,
Matthew

#9 2007-01-25 00:47:17

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey Matthew, great looking flutes! I like your ikigaeshi inlay.

matthew wrote:

Hey All,
I have worked with a pretty wide range of finishes, solvents, adhesives and glues, but I have never experienced anything as foul smelling as this stuff.  It’s just nasty and I certainly don’t want to take deep breaths with this flute under my nose…so I’m basically shelving it for now.  Maybe the smell will disappear in time, but I can assure you I won’t go down that road again.

I worked with cashew during my first shakuhachi sojourn in Japan. It smelled like burnt car oil after it dried. That was almost four years ago. Still smells like burnt car oil.

I’ve been wondering if anyone else has pictures of what they are working on to post here.  I’d love to see what else is going on in the world of bamboo manipulation.

Until Later,
Matthew

Here is a 2.1 hocchiku finished last month. I find the natural sinuous quality of some pieces quite beautiful and prefer not to straighten them.

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/oneeye.jpg

Ja matane, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2007-01-26 15:49:43)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#10 2007-01-25 19:42:42

kyoreiflutes
Website

Very nice, Perry. I must say, though, that I'm really enthralled by the two you just made, especially the 3.0. That is one amazing looking flute. I can imagine how it plays. And the bamboo you chose... wow.

If I ever have you make me a flute, I want it to be like that one.

http://www.yungflutes.com/log/

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#11 2007-01-26 07:17:23

matthew

Hey Perry,
That flute looks amazing...I really appreciate the organic flavor you have going on and I can only hope one day I can get a fraction of that feeling in what I'm doing.  My wife and I are expecting our third child (an incredible blessing) and I don't want to bring anything other than bamboo dust into our tiny Japanese apartment at this point.  Organic all the way I say!

You could  throw down some pointers on taking tight photos bro (Ken too...your photos are really art guys).  I bet folks would be interested in prints of that bad boy!

Thanks as always,
Matthew

#12 2007-01-26 16:08:14

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey Matthew,

matthew wrote:

Hey Perry,
My wife and I are expecting our third child (an incredible blessing) and I don't want to bring anything other than bamboo dust into our tiny Japanese apartment at this point.  Organic all the way I say!

And you have time for shakuhachi!!! wink
Yes, I have a lock on the door of the shop. The little ones get into everything.

You could  throw down some pointers on taking tight photos bro (Ken too...your photos are really art guys).  I bet folks would be interested in prints of that bad boy!

Thanks as always,
Matthew

Thanks! I love photography. I studied it for many years as part of my BFA and continue to use it in my art everyday. As with any art form, there are many philosophical approaches combined with serious formal technique.

If you can't devote time to understanding photographic composition, lighting, mood and other elements that make a great photo (third child?!), here are some general tips that will help:

1) Get a good camera.
2) Look at photos that you like and indentify what makes it good (to you).
3) Try to replicate the elements that you like (this means copying but after years of copying, you will have a deep understanding of your technique. Your own vision will eventually come through making it art).
4) Working with natural light is easier for beginners than fixed lighting.

I took this photo in Hong Kong last year. To the average eye, it's a simple photo. To the photography student or professional, there is a formal approach to the composition which makes it easy on the eye.
http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/scaffoldpile.jpg

This photo shows another compositional approach. An entirely different photograph but designed to let the eye wander in much the same way as the other photo. http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/peterut6c.jpg

Sorry for the indulgence. I know...this is a shakuhachi forum smile

Namaste,
Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2007-01-26 16:29:10)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer