Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-12-31 16:05:09

zenstudent

Beginners Frustration

Ok, so I'm frustrated.  I've got a 1.6 tozan style shakuhachi.  For the last three days I've been working at it pretty hard, but can only make sound with all holes open or covering #5 and if i'm really lucky a 5 and 4. 

And I can hold those notes for a fairly long time.  And usually pretty consistant in tone.

How should I be changing the way I blow as I move down the scale.  I can't play ro and tsu.  I sometimes get a high sound, but never the low tones i'm looking for.

thanks

#2 2006-12-31 16:11:38

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Beginners Frustration

That's OK for three days. Are you sure the flute doesn't have any leaks? You can test that by running water through the bore, which usually seals any leaks and then try playing the lower notes and see if you get them. If you don't then maybe there's a leak.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2006-12-31 16:32:40

amokrun

Just figured that I'd offer some help. I'm a beginner myself and thus those days are still fresh in my memory. If you feel like chatting about that kind of things and are curious how long it takes to figure out different aspects, drop me an e-mail. Like me, you may occasionally feel like all the professionals around here are just way above you and nothing they say makes any sense. Feel welcome to drop me a note if you feel like it.

#4 2007-01-01 13:03:03

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi, Many first time players can not get all the notes for quite some time so you are actuallly doing quite well.

Try this:

Blow your best note over and over again. When you are confident that you have a solid and robust note, try to play the next note down in the middle of blowing the first note. Say that your thumb hole is the easiest note. Blow as you normally would then cover the thumb hole when you feel the note is confident. If you are playing a solid tone, the next note down should sound with no adjustment of the embouchure. Do this all the way down the scale. If a note does not work after repeated attempts. You may have a leak.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2007-01-29 16:43:29

Rick McDaniel

That is actually pretty, if you are just starting. For me, it was weeks before I could get any reliable playing of the scale, and even now, I cannot play well when weary, at all.

I suspect that you are allowing your embouchure to "weaken" as you play, which is a natural tendency for me, as well. In other words, you may be loosening your upper lip, as you play, as opposed to keeping a tight embouchure.

Try focusing your mind on maintaining the embouchure, and allow yourself to wander on the finger holes. Getting good sound across the base octave, can take a year or more, and into the second octave, even longer. Can't say about the 3rd octave, as I haven't progressed that far yet. (smile)

#6 2007-01-29 18:20:25

Ryuzen
Dokyoku (Daishihan); Zensabo
Website

There may be a few reasons why you can't get the bottom notes. A common thing that happens with beginner students is that there is a leak in the finger holes. You must seal all the holes perfectly in order to get the OTSU no RO note. The third hole is a common leak point as that's a weak finger for most people. Look in the mirror when you practice and check which holes are leaking.

Another reason you may not be getting RO is that you may be overblowing. Blow gently at so as not to go into the kan, upper register which is easy to do.

Another reason may be a problem with your flute. Have an experienced player check it out.....

Good luck!

Alcvin

I live a shakuhachi life.

#7 2007-01-29 18:21:20

Karmajampa
Website

I suspect you are blowing too hard, soften your blow as you close more holes, once you get to Ro you can begin to strengthen your blow again.
Make sure that all holes are cleanly covered by your finger, and you don't have to use the fingertip.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

Board footer