Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Sony MZ-NH700 HiMD & Sony ECM-MS907 electret condenser mic

#1 2007-01-29 16:59:47

dstone
Website

Sony MZ-NH700 HiMD & Sony ECM-MS907 electret condenser mic

I saw Eugene post a recent question about the Zoom H4 and I'm also curious about that device.  Also the Edirol R09 and maybe Marantz which seem to be addressing the same market as the Zoom.

Anyways, I thought I'd share my impressions of the portable recording setup I've used for several years, even before undertaking shakuhachi.

Sony MZ-NH700 HiMD:
1. Very good recording quality, especially with mic below and especially in uncompressed PCM mode.
2. Good battery life.  One AA gives 3-6 hours recording (depending on settings) and 20+ hours for playback.  Can also be powered by the AC adapter or USB.  Turns itself off diligently when not touched for a little while (unless you're recording).
3. Very good, low-noise mic input section, at least paired with the mic below.
4. Player itself is mechanical and gives off an extremely quiet "whirr" noise every once in a while but nothing that would likely get into even a very quiet recording if you distance & isolate the player a foot or two from the mic.
5. Retrieving WAV files from the recorder over USB is harder than it should be, in my opinion.  Requires free Sony software.
6. Inexpensive.  Probably around CAN$240.

Sony ECM-MS907 electret condenser mic:
1. Very good response, from silent to loud, at least listening as critically as I can to shakuhachi, piano, and vocal recordings I've made.
2. Quiet (low-hiss introduced) and reasonably strong signal.  (Keeping in mind this mic doesn't cost much, but it performed head-and-shoulders better than a two other mono vocal and instrument mics I tried in the sub-CAN$200 price range.)
3. Stereo imaging seems fine, though this isn't critical to me.  Switchable 90/120-degree focus.
4. Requires a AA battery.  Battery life on one AA seems nearly infinite.  Even if you forget to turn it off sometimes.
5. Inexpensive.  Probably around CAN$110.

I have used this setup semi-regularly for a few years, for practice, lessons, and to record others' performances for them in dead rooms, cathedrals, and everything in between.  Packs down easily and I've toted it around everywhere in backpacks hiking, cycling, etc. and it's no worse for wear.  (The mic feels metal and solid and the player looks/feels plasticy but it has stood up great.)

Summary:
I would consider a replacement one- or two-piece setup that makes it easier to retrieve the recorded files, but it's hard to imagine getting much higher recording quality in this size, especially in a very quiet setting as shakuhachi recordings tend to be.  The new SD-based Zoom or Edirol units cost more money than this pair together.

-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2007-01-29 17:08:23)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#2 2007-01-29 17:29:48

Yu-Jin

Re: Sony MZ-NH700 HiMD & Sony ECM-MS907 electret condenser mic

Thanks a lot Darren
E.

#3 2007-01-31 10:32:35

Bruce
Website

I have the Sony MZ N-707 that I use to record my lessons and an occasional concert (where permitted)  I find much the same quality as you describe above with Sony's ECM-717 mic.

The one thing I can't do, is dump files to disk via USB.  I've been recording them via the analog channel (headset out to line in), which is fine for my lessons (do I *REALLY* want to hear my own mistakees in crystal clarity? :-) but is a PITA because it's a  realitime operation - an hour lesson takes an hour to transfer to the computer.

Does anyone know of a way to get these recorders to do USB file transfers?

P.S. Since you asked about the Marantz, I've posted a short review in this forum.

Last edited by Bruce (2007-01-31 10:58:13)

Everything is perfect, it just needs a little improvement.
        - Suzuki Roshi

#4 2007-01-31 11:44:07

dstone
Website

Bruce wrote:

The one thing I can't do, is dump files to disk via USB.  ...  Does anyone know of a way to get these recorders to do USB file transfers?

Hi Bruce.  Not sure if you're referring to a Marantz recorder or an MD recorder in that question.

With an MD or HiMD player, you plug it in via USB, run Sony's SonicStage software and tell it the destination folder on your computer you want the WAV files written to.  It's not super fast but it transfers quicker than elapsed recording time.  The software is Windows-only and seems like an unnecessary step to me, considering how much easier USB keys, drives, and cameras do the same operation.  Sony is quite obsessed with DRM though, so this is how they ensure they watch over all file transfers and prevent unauthorized copies from being made of things you didn't record yourself.

With the new SD/CF recorders, manufacturers (well, except Sony) are doing things better.  Just like any recent digital camera, the proprietary software step is eliminated because the device presents itself as a USB mass-storage device (like a hard disk) when plugged into a computer, so you can just drag and drop WAV files to/from your computer without installing or running any other software.  Or you can skip the USB cable altogether if your computer has an SD/CF slot -- just stuff the card directly into your computer.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Sony MZ-NH700 HiMD & Sony ECM-MS907 electret condenser mic

Board footer