Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-01-29 16:29:09

Rick McDaniel

New member from Dallas area.

Greetings to all,

I am attempting to learn to play shakuhachi, as a student of Stan Richardson. While my progress is slow on the shakuhachi, it is getting better, over time. I am not studying as a "serious" devotee, but rather in an effort to add the shakuhachi to my instrument capability, as my primary instrument is Native American flute, although I am attempting to learn to play various world flutes, to at least a listenable playing level.

At this point, I have several flutes, but due to budget limitations, all are modest instruments. (Shakuhachi is one of the priciest of all flutes.) I have a Zen-On maple flute, an Yuu ABS flute, a Tai Hei student flute, and a Japanese root-end flute, whose hanko I cannot read. I also have a contemporary root-end flute, which is being evaluated for adjustment and tweaking, in the near future, to see if it can be made into a decent flute, at a cost I can afford. (Cannot read that hanko either.)

Since all of these flutes play somewhat differently from each other, I am now concentrating on my lessons with the recently acquired Japanese root-end flute, which seems to play best, to me, personally.

I do not ever expect to be able to invest in what most would consider a "good" flute, as they are out of my price range. (I have found it a bit curious, that the most difficult of flutes to play, is also one of the most expensive, which does give rise to the issue of why we want to play them.....but I offer no explanantion for that at this point.)

My biggest stumbling block at this time, is learning to read the notation, as variations in the calligraphy, complicate reading it, for me, as I find it difficult to see the notation well, due to my eyeglass prescription. It is especially hard to read the finer aspects of the notation, so that is one of my struggles at the moment.

Naturally, embouchure is always difficult, at best, and impossible at times....such as when I am weary, or late at night, etc.

I am almost 62 yrs. of age, so I do NOT sit on my heels to play! (smile) These old bones wouldn't take that, I'm afraid.

I know a few people who I see here, who are fellow NAF players, or world flute players, such as Peter Phippen. I look forward to getting to know some of those who only play the shakuhachi, as well.

I am NOT a musician, and do not ever expect to be one, but I do appreciate good music, especially flutes, of various genres, and new age music, as well as traditional oriental music from various parts of Asia.

I am a member of the Heart of the Cedar Native American flute circle, in the Dallas / Ft. Worth metro area, and serve as the INAFA representative for that flute circle, at the moment.

Thanks,
Rick McDaniel

#2 2007-01-29 19:50:07

edosan
Edomologist

Re: New member from Dallas area.

Rick McDaniel wrote:

My biggest stumbling block at this time, is learning to read the notation, as variations in the calligraphy, complicate reading it, for me, as I find it difficult to see the notation well, due to my eyeglass prescription. It is especially hard to read the finer aspects of the notation, so that is one of my struggles at the moment.

If you don't already have one, I strongly recommend getting a music stand so you can position the sheet music optimally for viewing it.

One of the folding types by Hamilton work quite well, and have small extensions for holding larger sheets, as well as small spring tabs to secure the sheet.

Amazon.com has pretty good prices on these, for example, this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Stands-K … nstruments

US$14.99 plus shipping.

There is also a small carry bag available for these things ($3.99 plus shpg):http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Stands-K … 39-1628437

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2007-01-30 14:52:11

Rick McDaniel

Music stands don't solve distance issues with bifocal lenses. Been there and done that.

While I can agree that it helps during practice, when I can place the music exactly where I want it (and I can use my computer glasses), it is of little help in lessons, when the music is placed where both the instructor and student can read it.

#4 2007-02-01 20:38:25

LorrieinAZ
Website

ut-oh - I was told there would be no "reading of music" !

Can one get by with just playing the shakuhachi  -   had enough of reading music with the piano!

Lorrie
Healing Soundscapes Inspired by the Sonoran Desert
http://www.lizarddanceproductions.com

#5 2007-02-01 21:20:14

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

LorrieinAZ wrote:

ut-oh - I was told there would be no "reading of music" !

Can one get by with just playing the shakuhachi  -   had enough of reading music with the piano!

How good are your memorization skills? smile

Have you seen any version of shakuhachi notation? If not, you are in for an interesting surprise. Enjoy!

notation is simply a tool to help one to remember compositions.

phil

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi player, teacher & vegetarian chef
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#6 2007-02-02 10:49:34

JeffMartindale
Website

Hello Rick, it is good to have you on the forum and enjoyed getting to talk with you in person at the annual retreat in Flower Mound. Hope to see you again to talk more about your journey with shakuhachi. In regards to another comment on music stands, these can also be helpful for another reason; it aids in your ability to play the music at a proper angle instead of looking down at the music. My teacher recommends a stand as well. Again, good to have you here Rick. All the best to you. In song and rhythm, Jeff

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
        Mark Twain

#7 2007-02-02 15:28:22

edosan
Edomologist

Rick McDaniel wrote:

...it is of little help in lessons, when the music is placed where both the instructor and student can read it.

I'm sure Stan would be all to happy to remedy that situation if asked.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#8 2007-02-03 11:31:38

LorrieinAZ
Website

philipgelb wrote:

Have you seen any version of shakuhachi notation? If not, you are in for an interesting surprise. Enjoy!

notation is simply a tool to help one to remember compositions.

phil

I usually just play form the heart although I do have some fine memorization skills - most everything I play on the Native  Flute is from memory or just improvising.  I haven't yet seen any notation for the shakuhachi...I think I'm more interested in making sounds and expressing myself than in playing someone's else's tunes...I always found piano exercises dull and boring, although they did serve a purpose in sharpening one's technique. Looking at music notation of ANY kind gives me the heebie-jeebies! LOL.

Lorrie
Healing Soundscapes Inspired by the Sonoran Desert
http://www.lizarddanceproductions.com

Board footer