Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-31 20:11:32

Josh
PhD
Website

Internet videos

Check out these videos from Google.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=shakuhachi

There is one with Tairaku and Kiku doing Kyorei and the other is Andrew MacGregor. It's kind of an intro to shakuhachi but you can hear a beautiful Fukuda Rando piece in the background.
Josh

#2 2006-07-31 21:02:44

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Internet videos

Thanks, Josh!

For those new to the shakuhachi, especially those without a teacher, the Andrew McGregor video (here's the direct link) is very useful in showing good close-ups of his embouchure (which happens to be asymmetrical...), and of a good player in action.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2006-08-03 02:28:18

Josh
PhD
Website

Great point Edosan. Andrew MacGregor's video is great for beginners and people debating on whether to even start playing the instrument. He plays both a modern piece in the beginning and a honkokyu in the end.
Josh

#4 2007-02-06 18:03:27

dstone
Website

Josh wrote:

Great point Edosan. Andrew MacGregor's video is great for beginners and people debating on whether to even start playing the instrument.

Hi.  Reviving this thread...

I just watched that Google video clip and I agree -- it's a really nice intro and explanation in under 5 minutes.  (Good for friends with short attention spans!)

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#5 2007-02-06 19:54:48

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

i like that Video. He is a great player.

He played some shakuhachi solos in the movie "Deliver us from evil"
But it sound it more like Ney...great!!

#6 2007-02-07 15:08:27

kyoreiflutes
Website

Well, I was impressed with his playing. Very fluid and lovely.

I tend to play asymmetrically as well, since my lip shape isn't quite right in the middle. I've been having problems getting very high into the 2nd octave, and something about watching him inspired me.

So, last night I had a breakthrough, and got all the way up on the 2nd octave for the first time, even got a note (probably harmonic) in the 3rd octave! I have a root-end 2.1 that I made last year, and I was never sure how well it worked until last night.

Very nice feeling! Thanks for the video link!

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#7 2007-02-07 15:55:24

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Eddi,
try to play overtones from ro. That helps a lot..I been practising those for 2 weeks, and sound is developing fast. They help a lot for the tone colors & high register..

#8 2007-02-07 18:01:36

Moran from Planet X
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

So, last night I had a breakthrough, and got all the way up on the 2nd octave for the first time, even got a note (probably harmonic) in the 3rd octave! I have a root-end 2.1 that I made last year, and I was never sure how well it worked until last night.

All the more reason why you really need to seek out Peter Hill. Now that you feel some real progress get Peter's evaluation and suggestions while you're ripe.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#9 2007-02-07 20:51:21

kyoreiflutes
Website

I will as soon as I can afford it. I have to move this month, money's tight, no real job, blahblahblah.

But I really want to. Another forum member and i talked about it the other day.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#10 2007-02-07 22:07:37

Sean

Atsuya Okuda and Zensabo's website has a video of Okuda-san's incredible playing.

http://www.okudaatsuya.com/video.html

Board footer