Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-02-19 09:51:21

onebreath

Hello from Lakewood, Ohio

I am about eight months into learning to play the skakuhachi, the last two with a teacher who has really helped me.  My musical background inlcudes many instruments - piano, clarinet, saxaphone, cello, and NA flute, although I no longer play any of them except for the NA flute and occasionally the piano.  I learned about the shakuhachi in a serendipitous way.  A friend recommended shakuhachi music as a background for meditation and reiki practice.  I was overwhelmed (and still am) at the beautiful emptiness this instrument can express. I wanted to try to learn to play it, but did not pursue it at first because I read about how difficult it was (causing me to remember early frustrations with the cello), and also because I could not find a teacher.  That led me instead to the NA flute, which I very much enjoy, but I just could not stop thinking about the shakuhachi and its beautiful sound.  So I took the plunge and bought a shakuhachi in the hope that I could learn to play it well enough to enjoy it, if necessary without a teacher.  I didn't make much progress until I called Perry Yung.  He gave me a phone lesson that enabled me to get good tones on a fairly consistent basis.  That gracious telephone lesson from Perry helped me realize that I needed to find a teacher, which I ultimately did after a lot of networking!

So here I am, eight months and six flutes into what I know will be a lifelong passion with the shakuhachi.  I really appreciate being able to join and participate in this forum.  I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you!

Best regards,

Steven

#2 2007-02-20 09:29:02

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Hello from Lakewood, Ohio

Hi Steven, Welcome to the Forum!

I look forward to hearing of your discoveries (no pun intended).

Ichion jobutsu.
Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer