Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-02-27 17:46:51

Kabato

Couldn't think of an inventive topic, so I'll just say hi :)

Hello everyone, I'm a college student in upstate new york and I only started playing shakuhachi about 3 months ago. I came upon the shakuhachi almost by accident, looking around on wikipedia at different kinds of world instruments. I immediately fell in love with the look and sound of the bamboo and (since I live in a city and am of modest means) bought some PVC and made myself a decent little 2.0. I spent about 3 weeks trying to get my first sound and since then I've played several hours every day. Once I got that first sound I thought it would be better to learn on a better made instrument, so I bought one of Perry Yung's earth flutes. I have a naturally frenetic mind, but there's something about the sound of the shakuhachi that I find so soothing and beautiful. I often play it right before bed and focus on its sound to help drift me off to sleep. Someday soon I hope to harvest myself some really big madake that grows near a small house my family owns in Mass and make some giant Watazumi style hocchiku. In any case I'm very glad to have found this forum and I look forward to getting to know all of the shakuhachi enthusiasts here.

If you say that you do not need to fan yourself because the nature of wind is permanent and you can have wind without fanning, you will understand neither permanence nor the nature of wind. The nature of wind is permanent; because of that, the wind of the buddha's house brings for the gold of the earth and makes fragrant the cream of the long river.

-Eihei Dogen, Genjokoan

#2 2007-02-27 22:21:16

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Couldn't think of an inventive topic, so I'll just say hi :)

Hi Kabato, Welcome! Let me know when you go bamboo picking. I'm in Mass now!
All the best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2007-02-27 23:19:11

Kabato

Re: Couldn't think of an inventive topic, so I'll just say hi :)

I would love that, but unfortunately as you're in Northampton and my house is in Woods Hole (near Hyannis on Cape Cod) it would be quite a trip. Still who knows, maybe something will fall into place.

If you say that you do not need to fan yourself because the nature of wind is permanent and you can have wind without fanning, you will understand neither permanence nor the nature of wind. The nature of wind is permanent; because of that, the wind of the buddha's house brings for the gold of the earth and makes fragrant the cream of the long river.

-Eihei Dogen, Genjokoan

Board footer