Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-02-28 13:06:28

KenC

Reflections of a beginners first Sankyoku...

I was very fortunate this past weekend to be invited by my teacher to participate in a small performance consisting of 5 Shakuhachi and 5 Koto.  It was such a great experience i just had to reflect on it.

We were to do 3 Pieces with the Koto's.  Rodudan, Shintakasago and Chidori no Kokyu. The Koto's were also to do one Koto only piece.  I knew from the beginning that i would only be able to play the first  4 dans of Rokudan, and part of Chidori no Kokyu.  The remaining pieces i was happy to follow along and enjoy the wonderfull playing by all.

I was, needless to say, quite nervous.  All i could imagine was missing some of those high register transitions and disrupting the flow of the piece.  Elizabeth Bennett was playing with us and while she is very understanding, i wanted all i did to be the best i could do. It was so nice to meet her and hear her play.

After the opening bows, and the first Tsu was blown and the Koto's joined in i could feel the tension in my shoulders dissipate. As we approached the transitions i have some problems with all i coudl say to my self was Relax!!  Before i knew it, we were into the 3rd dan, and all thought outside of the music seemed to cease.  No thoughts about missing anything or where i would need to stop playing.  Once or twice i may have missed a note, or phrase.  Others did too.  But with the group it was not even noticed.  The pieces seemed to be so much richer with the Kotos versus practice playing without them, really wonderful.  It was all so enjoyable!!  They decided to play Rokudan twice to give those of us new to Sankyoku the added experience, which was so nice of the group.

It was so inspiring to be with, and play with such a wonderfull group of people!     Everyone ( Koto's and Shakuhachi) were so supportive and helpfull to those of us new to ensenble playing.  It was an energizing experience and i look forward to many more.

In Gassho,
Ken

#2 2007-02-28 14:12:35

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: Reflections of a beginners first Sankyoku...

hi Ken,

I was supossed to be there too, but I had a recording session..
Elizabeth is Great player and very nice person.

G

#3 2007-02-28 15:05:36

KenC

Re: Reflections of a beginners first Sankyoku...

Thats cool Geni!  It would have been great to meet you.  I believe they are planning a trip out here (Western Mass) in the next month or 2 do do something.

Ken

Board footer