Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-13 01:11:39

Peter Phippen

Peter Phippen intro

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your help getting me on your Shakuhachi Forum.

Hello to all on this list.

My name is Peter Phippen I play Non-traditional Shakuhachi and just about every type of world flute there is. I also play them in a non-traditional manner as well. My intrest is in ultra modern bamboo and wooden flutes and antique bamboo and wooden flutes of all kinds.

I have been playing bamboo flute for twenty years. I started playing Shakuhachi in 1993. I record with the Canyon Records lable of Phoenix Arizona.

I guess that most would say I play "New Age" Music, so be it, I can live with that. I do play gentle and do not like to blast away all that much but that could change as I leave my mind open to anything that will come along.

I have been playing a 2.5 Mujitsu Shakuhachi for a long time now as my main shakuhachi and I also enjoy playing Antique Shakuhachi. I do think one Shakuhachi flute is enough to last a lifetime, so why do I want to buy more all the time?

Sometimes I wonder if I even know how to play flutes of anykind since I just play what I "feel" and Improvise 99% of the time.

I think of Shakuhachi in "western terms". To me, a 1.8 is in "D" with the basic notes being, D, F, G, A, C, D. as most keyboard players or Guitar men are not going to know what I'm talking about if I start in with Japanese lingo. So, I have never really took the time to learn it in a proper manner. I spend my time playing and working on my improvisations. Forgive me.

I'm not interested in playing anyone's music but mine. I know this sounds bad, But I'm just interested in what I can come up with on Bamboo flutes, not what someone else has done. However, I do listen to many Shakuhachi recordings. My most loved Shakuhachi recording is: Bobu G "Temple Garden".

If any of you would like to know more about me, my thoughts or my music, please check out my website: www.peterphippen.com you can hear samples of my work on i-tunes.

Thank you Ken for asking me to join up here. I look forward to learning much more about the Shakuhachi, a life long task.

All the best to you,
Peter Phippen

Last edited by Peter Phippen (2006-07-13 01:23:20)

#2 2006-07-13 10:57:53

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Peter Phippen intro

Peter,

Thanks for taking the technological leap to join the forum! I look forward to your contributions.

Ken

#3 2006-07-13 11:51:03

Medit8b1
Website

Mr Phippen,
    I’m not sure that I am the best one to welcome you to this forum (as I only joined recently myself), but I just had to say hello, as I am a big fan of your music.  My CD/Alarm clock contains your CD Night Songs, which gently wakes me up every morning for work.
I’m glad to hear of someone else who is not afraid to be called “New Age”. It’s just a label/style of music, and like any other style (country, pop, rock etc.), there is good New Age and Bad New Age. But somehow all New Age music seems to have gotten a bum wrap, and allot of musicians I know threaten to break their instruments over your head if you dare to call their music New Age. I like to tell people that I have embraced my New Ageiness.
Also, IMHO, I don’t think you should have to apologize for not playing the Shakuhachi in a traditional way. While I am personally drawn to the history and tradition of this great instrument, allot of the master players also perform their own compositions or even use the instrument in other musical styles, most notably Jazz. I ran into a different yet similar issue with performing on the Native American flute, where some people felt that I should not perform the instrument for money as I was not of Native decent. I like to quote Odell Borg of High Spirits flutes who said that "As a French horn is a particular type of musical instrument, "Native American flute" refers to a particular type of musical instrument…”. This statement can then be stretched further to say that you don’t need to be French or play French music to perform the French horn. I feel as long as you show the proper respect to any given instruments history and tradition, expanding the scope of an instrument and increasing the number of people who play and get to hear them can only be a good thing for the future of said instrument. 
Of course it also helps that my all time favorite flute recording (on any kind of flute) is “Daughter of the Mist” from the CD Echoes of the Past, which you just happen to have played on a Shakuhachi!
On a last closing “note”, I have been having a little trouble obtaining some of your newer recordings, is there any place on the web I can order them from? I also look forward to the possibility of picking your brain about other world flutes (in the proper forum topic section of course!) Thanks.

#4 2006-07-13 19:56:40

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hi Peter,

Welcome. Nice to have someone else from the Land of Beer, Cheese, Bratwurst and Music on the forum!

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2006-07-13 20:58:07

Peter Phippen

No Kidding, You like "Daughter of the Mist"??? Your all time Favorite flute song??? You honor me and I thank you. You would smile if you saw the 1.8 that I lipped down to C# to play that song on. No root, Raw bamboo bore, Thank you so much for your kind words. My new CD's are at my website www.peterphippen.com  just click on the Image. or I play one of Ken's Flutes, some world flutes and a Edo shakuhachi on the Lifescapes recording Zen Garden at all Target stores.

Thank you,
Peter

Medit8b1 wrote:

Mr Phippen,
    I’m not sure that I am the best one to welcome you to this forum (as I only joined recently myself), but I just had to say hello, as I am a big fan of your music.  My CD/Alarm clock contains your CD Night Songs, which gently wakes me up every morning for work.
I’m glad to hear of someone else who is not afraid to be called “New Age”. It’s just a label/style of music, and like any other style (country, pop, rock etc.), there is good New Age and Bad New Age. But somehow all New Age music seems to have gotten a bum wrap, and allot of musicians I know threaten to break their instruments over your head if you dare to call their music New Age. I like to tell people that I have embraced my New Ageiness.
Also, IMHO, I don’t think you should have to apologize for not playing the Shakuhachi in a traditional way. While I am personally drawn to the history and tradition of this great instrument, allot of the master players also perform their own compositions or even use the instrument in other musical styles, most notably Jazz. I ran into a different yet similar issue with performing on the Native American flute, where some people felt that I should not perform the instrument for money as I was not of Native decent. I like to quote Odell Borg of High Spirits flutes who said that "As a French horn is a particular type of musical instrument, "Native American flute" refers to a particular type of musical instrument…”. This statement can then be stretched further to say that you don’t need to be French or play French music to perform the French horn. I feel as long as you show the proper respect to any given instruments history and tradition, expanding the scope of an instrument and increasing the number of people who play and get to hear them can only be a good thing for the future of said instrument. 
Of course it also helps that my all time favorite flute recording (on any kind of flute) is “Daughter of the Mist” from the CD Echoes of the Past, which you just happen to have played on a Shakuhachi!
On a last closing “note”, I have been having a little trouble obtaining some of your newer recordings, is there any place on the web I can order them from? I also look forward to the possibility of picking your brain about other world flutes (in the proper forum topic section of course!) Thanks.

Last edited by Peter Phippen (2006-07-13 21:06:40)

#6 2006-07-13 21:03:59

Peter Phippen

Thank you Brian,

I hope we can meet in person one day soon. I would love to hear you play. I'm in Madison qiute a bit, perhaps we can hook up and jam a bit.

From a WI. transplant,
Peter

Tairaku wrote:

Hi Peter,

Welcome. Nice to have someone else from the Land of Beer, Cheese, Bratwurst and Music on the forum!

BR

#7 2006-07-13 21:05:27

Peter Phippen

Ken,
Glad to be here, thanks for your help. I hope I have something to offer.
Peter

Mujitsu wrote:

Peter,

Thanks for taking the technological leap to join the forum! I look forward to your contributions.

Ken

#8 2006-11-04 06:39:46

keyofdman
Website

Peter,
Thanks for sharing here at the forum, and welcome.
I am another one who might fit into the "New Age" category, using a variety of wooden flutes, vocals, and other sounds to express the music that comes.
I have a percussionist friend who, long ago, gave me a perspective about instruments that continues to serve me. He talked about the idea that, when you go to choose a cymbal, you don't try to make a sound on it; instead, you listen for the sound that instrument wants to make. You breathe and open yourself to hear the voice of that instrument. I believe you are talking about following that same process in your flute playing. I know that is what I try each time I sit with one of my instruments. In that way, I believe we honor the instrument, the bamboo, and the history and tradition of the music in a way that continues the tradition of that instrument and culture.
David
http://davidkeymusic.com

"Argue for your limitations, and you get to keep them."
from Illusions, by Richard Bach

#9 2007-01-27 09:45:06

LorrieinAZ
Website

Peter Phippen wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if I even know how to play flutes of anykind since I just play what I "feel" and Improvise 99% of the time.

Hi Peter - I'm glad to see a familiar face here!  I love ALL of your music - so I think it's best for me to say that your music is truly inspirational - and I'm going to start my own Shakuhachi journey now!

As far as "New Age" - I don't worry too much about labels - and yes, I guess "New Age' does tend to get a bum rap here and there - but we certainly do need a NEW AGE - so whatever. :-)

See you at ZION.

Lorrie

Lorrie
Healing Soundscapes Inspired by the Sonoran Desert
http://www.lizarddanceproductions.com

#10 2007-03-11 21:06:47

Zentinel

It's great to see so many dedicated artists, such as yourself, on this forum. I really enjoy your work, Peter. Incredibly smooth! Take care, brother!

Board footer