Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-03-16 19:12:33

Safiya

Preventing from injuries, gathering infos

Decided to gather infos on how to care about hands, arms and body, when you play shakuhachi quite a bit, like more than one hour a day, or even not that much, specialy a challenge when you discover the instrument a bit late in your life. Many of us discovered problems with the non ergonomic computer’s mices and keyboards, which have solutions, so don’t let shakuhachi bring us there. Hence that thread that hopefully some will continue for the benefit of new comers mainly. It seems important as I hear some who sell their long shakuhachi because of hand injuries, or too long playing sessions.
I will start with a simple statement that Stephanie Hiller from the european shakuhachi forum wrote me :
« If you hurt your body, then your body will keep hurting you in return. » Body has red lights. When it starts to hurt, it means : stop. 

Timing : Good idea is to make pauses every 10 or 15 minutes, or whenever it is appropriate.
You can increase the length of your playing time slightly every day, better that to jump to much more practice at once. During the break, I feel usefull to stretch gently my arms and hands in the air, to move slowly wrists, elbows, shoulders and neck in a few directions to relax them from a tensed posture. Like distangling a messi rope, not forcing. Learned that from osteopathic, as a technic to get out of injuries.

Wrists and body positions : same problem as when typing on a computer, keep your hand/wrist in the same line as your arm, don’t twist them, rather change your arm angle, ortherway it will hurt your wrist sooner and later. When it hurts, it is not over. It just an nice indicator meaning : stop, you idiot ! Then relax the joints, massage gently, make a long break, could be one full day if needed, or even more, and find ways not to get there again. The way you stand up, or sit, how your shoulders and neck are relaxed or tensed, all these things matter and reveal your attitude when holding shakuhachi. It is very nice to correct those as it corrects as well our inner attitudes, fears, worries.

Instrument related problem : weighty and/or longer shakuhachi with more distant holes.
I started with the yuu, mainly, and my fingers  find it too heavy thus hard to hold, specially my right thumb holding it. Then there are the long nice wonderfull ones, 2.4, 2.6 and until 3.3 or whatever, for someone 2.1 can be too much allready. When you start stretching your fingers to reach the holes, realise that you never did, during your all life, repeated fast and precise movements for hours with slightly stretched fingers. You need to go very very progressively and for short periods. Warm up first, as Darren adviced once for long flutes, could be just any gentle activities first, or playing witch chinese balls, from small to larger balls. Keep your wrists relaxed and in straight position, thus cover holes by other part of the finger eventually.
Hold the long shakuhachi on the floor rather than holding it yourself –means being seated, as Kiku adviced me, or on cusion, or on one of your leg with shorter ones. Even rest your lower arm on a cushion while playing, if it means a more relaxed position. Offset holes work better for me. Unfortunaltely, many makers have long hands, thus the holes are not allways offset or enough offset to smaller hand spans. I do use pinky whenever it is more confortable, but this finger needs to be trained progressivly to do such precise and repetitive tasks.

Awareness : being goal oriented keeps you sometimes away from harmony, thus you might get hurt. Listen to your body and your energy, breath gently, let this fantastic feeling machine that you are be in harmony with the moment, with the instrument and the time you spent. Consciouness brings us a long way, and your evolution curve is not something to be forced, but a thing to get revealed gently and appreciated. Be kind to yourself and appreciate any progress as it comes. Be friendly with your body, it do not forces you into limitations, it invites you to be in harmony to reveal pure beauty, the one that you can product, not the one you want to emulate. Find your sound, find your self. That’s the occasion.

Happy and healthy blowing!
Dominique

Through conscious beings, the universe has generated self awareness

#2 2007-03-17 14:23:51

philthefluter
Website

Re: Preventing from injuries, gathering infos

Many thanks Dominique for all your suggestions. I'd like to add a short elaboration. I'd recommend that players slowly progress from the standard 1.8 to 2.0/2.1 to 2.4, etc. Even this can take years. I know that bansuri players start with a shorter flute and gradually move onto longer flutes.  It is also important to practise the long shakuhachi as regularly as the short ones. If I don't get a chance to play my 2.8 for a month, I will start off with only 5 minutes playing for a week before tackling one of the longer honkyoku.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#3 2007-03-17 17:40:06

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Preventing from injuries, gathering infos

philthefluter wrote:

Many thanks Dominique for all your suggestions. I'd like to add a short elaboration. I'd recommend that players slowly progress from the standard 1.8 to 2.0/2.1 to 2.4, etc. Even this can take years. I know that bansuri players start with a shorter flute and gradually move onto longer flutes.  It is also important to practise the long shakuhachi as regularly as the short ones. If I don't get a chance to play my 2.8 for a month, I will start off with only 5 minutes playing for a week before tackling one of the longer honkyoku.

Different strokes for different folks. I agree with you. When I switched from silver to Irish flute that has a much larger finger spread, I made made the transition easier by playing on a G whistle first (larger finger spread than a D whistle, but still smaller than a low D whistle or flute). I'd think it's the best way of doing it. However, I read somewhere that it was suggested that Turkish ney players should start with the longest instrument that they can, because if you learn on the longer instrument, the shorter instruments will be easy. I didn't do it this way, I first learned on a very short Egyptian ney (actually I think it's called a suffara), progressed to a longer Kiz ney, and then to the longer Monsur ney.

There may be more to the idea of starting on longer flutes than just the "speaking with gravel in the mouth" philosophy of starting out with whatever is harder first. A lot of the key to playing longer instruments comfortably is hand position and not finger spread. If a long flute is played placing the right hand (the one furthest away) so that the index finger covers the hole with the part of the finger closest to the knuckle, and the hand is angled naturally, not striving to be perpendicular, so that the next finger (the one next to the pinky on a shakuhachi)  covers the hole with the middle or tip of the finger, the amount you need to spread your fingers is reduced significantly. There's obviously a limit to this, and I'm speculating at this point because I've never played instuments as long as I've seen in some shakuhachi pictures, but at some point in order to keep a comfortable hand position you'd need to resort to using your pinky finger.

The whole thing about resting your hands often shouldn't be an issue. If you need to "rest" your hand, you're causing damage to your hand. You're either holding the flute wrong or the flute is too long for you. By "wrong" I mean it could be held in a manner that isn't damaging. It's possible that what is best for your hands isn't "proper" for traditional Japanese music. Personally, I had a silver flute teacher early on who recommended playing in a less than comfortable position because it was better technically. Not that the teacher was wrong, it made very logical sense and she even told me who taught her the positioning, but it goes to show that what your teacher is telling you to do might not be the best for your hands. Not so coincidentally this same teacher now, some 30 years later, is very quick to point out how great bo-peps, thumb docks and other ergonomic aids are.

I just noticed that in proofreading this I neglected the issue of holding the flute too tight. You don't need to . You only need enough tightness to cover the holes, which is minimal. There's a strong tendancy to try to correct notes not coming out by tightening the grip. There might be something to this because tightening your grip will cause your fingers to squish out a little, possibly causing the holes to be covered, but it's not the best solution.  If the notes aren't coming out, DONT SQUEEZE TIGHTER. Look at your hand position, see if the holes are being covered. If it's obvious they aren't, correct your hand position so they are, and try again. If it's not obvious, a little experimentation is in order. Play other notes that require those fingers to be down, like a different octave or one note lower. If you can't play that those notes either, assume you've isolated the problem to the hole not being covered well, so correct your hand position and try again. When your first learning an instrument, particularly by yourself without the help of a teacher, it can be very difficult to isolate the problem to notes not being covered well because it could very well be your embouchure causing the problem. I've went as far as covering the suspect hole with electrical tape to help isolate the problem.

Another thing that maybe I should clarify is that by "hand position", although the thing to look at first is your wrist and hand, your entire arm, how close or far away your elbow is to the body, how angled the flute is, by that I mean somewhere between straight down or horizontal to the floor, and even the position of your torso, can effect the hand position.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

Board footer