Tube of delight!

#1 2007-03-21 12:33:52

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

check out this video

cool video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=870L2vCX3rw

I don`t know what instrumet the older guy is playing.It looks like a big shell.

G

Last edited by geni (2007-03-21 12:38:03)

#2 2007-03-21 12:40:26

Kabato

Re: check out this video

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horagai

"The conch is perhaps most associated with its use by Buddhist monks for religious purposes. Its use goes back at least one thousand years, and it is still used today for some rituals, such as the omizutori (water drawing) portion of the Shuni-e rites at the Todaiji in Nara. Unlike most shell trumpets from other parts of the world which produce only one pitch, the Japanese hora or horagai can produce three or four different notes. The process of transforming a shell into an instrument is kept somewhat secret, but it involves the attachment of a bronze mouthpiece to the apex of the shell's spire."

I'd love to get me one of those. smile

If you say that you do not need to fan yourself because the nature of wind is permanent and you can have wind without fanning, you will understand neither permanence nor the nature of wind. The nature of wind is permanent; because of that, the wind of the buddha's house brings for the gold of the earth and makes fragrant the cream of the long river.

-Eihei Dogen, Genjokoan

#3 2007-03-21 13:33:03

KenC

Thanks Geni, enjoyed that. 

Thanks to Kabato also.  Learn something new every day!

Ken

#4 2007-03-21 14:25:08

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

thanks Kabato for the info
I remeber Tairaku playing one of those in a concert.
G

#5 2007-03-21 17:38:51

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

It is also used religiously in Tibet and Sri Lanka. In Sri Lanka they call it hakgedia. When I play it there they freak out because my breath is much longer than theirs and I play different notes. They just play one note. The ancient Aztecs also used it for similar purposes.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#6 2007-03-21 17:39:51

Kabato

How do you play it? Does the mouthpiece work like a trumpet's or something?

If you say that you do not need to fan yourself because the nature of wind is permanent and you can have wind without fanning, you will understand neither permanence nor the nature of wind. The nature of wind is permanent; because of that, the wind of the buddha's house brings for the gold of the earth and makes fragrant the cream of the long river.

-Eihei Dogen, Genjokoan

#7 2007-03-21 17:47:03

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

It's played like a trumpet, or perhaps more accurately a bugle. No big deal.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#8 2007-03-21 21:21:01

Josh
PhD
Website

Shugendo practitioners can often be seen using the Horagai.  When I was playing shakuhachi as an offering at some of Shikoku's 88 temples, from time-to-time there would also be shugendo people playing their shells as other practitioners chanted sutra.  You can hear it sometimes especially where pilgrimages are popular, Koya san and the Kumano pilgrimage (there are a lot of shugendo and yamabushi trails throughout the mountains there around Wakayama and Nara) and also around Hiei-zan in Kyoto.

Kinohachi is a great shakuhachi player and a student of Mitsuhashi Kifu, as well as another minyo teacher whose name I can't remember. His CDs usually heavily use synthesizer and sometimes techno-style music, but his concerts are often a little more creative and experimental, in my opinion. (You can find a few of them on youtube)  In Japan people have criticized him for relying too much on mura-iki, but everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess.

Josh

Board footer