Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-01 04:19:21

amokrun

Painting a yuu - what kind of paint to use?

Greetings all,

I recently bought a yuu and now I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I wanted something that I can take with me and ended up going with yuu for now. Although yuu doesn't look bad at all as it is, I figured that it could be a nice project to paint it slightly. I think someone even posted an article here at one point where someone painted the whole thing into a darker brown shade and created a fake black urushi coating into the bore.

Before I get started with anything, I figured that I'd ask if anyone here has any experience on this or painting plastic objects in general. What kind of paints should I use to make sure that the color sticks? How easily would such a paint wash off if the flute is exposed to water or sweat from holding it while playing? I doubt I'll cover the whole thing in paint. More likely I'll just add something to the root end. I really like the method of painting the tip of the flute black with urushi that is often attributed to komuso monks. I may end up doing something similar.

Thank you in advance.

#2 2007-04-01 09:00:27

onebreath

Re: Painting a yuu - what kind of paint to use?

Krylon makes a good product that could work for this - Krylon Fusion.  They specifically developed it for painting plastic.  No sanding or priming involved.  Dries to the touch in about 15 minutes and completely cures in a week.  Don't know about ease of removal.  There are likely other products out there as well, but this is one I have used successfully.

Good luck!

Steven

#3 2007-04-01 12:38:39

gmiller

Amber Shellac. Brushed multiple thin coats produces a very warm bamboo like effect.

#4 2007-04-01 13:57:05

dstone
Website

If you haven't already, you might want to dig into the details behind this heavily modified Yuu...
http://home.earthlink.net/~soundwave1/Inga/images/yuu/top.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~soundwave1/Inga/yuu.htm

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

Board footer