Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-02 15:59:43

Storme

what drones/root note for traditional pieces?

Hi, Im a little confused as regard the root note of a piece.
I happen to be totally taken at the moment with 'Hon Shirabe'
I understand this is Dokyoku style honkyoku.

but in listening to it with the idea of choosing a certain key shakuhachi to play in a sound bath with particular drones, I hear the root of the piece as 'Re' not 'Ro' - is this right?
perhaps my indian training has fixed my way of hearing but when a 'D' flute plays this tune, using 'D' just hovers rather than fits like a root note would. and i can't get my ears to accept 'Ro'  as the root of the piece!
I have the famous Kohachiro Miyata version which is apparantly played on an 'A' and A as a drone just won't sit for my ears.
am i going slightly mad here or do some pieces use other notes than 'Re' as their roots
or does it not work like that at all?!!

I will go back and listen to the version on Baraka (not on the soundtrack album) as this is the original recording mixed with Synths doing drones BUT maybe thats not neccesarily traditionally correct either?
are we hearing it upside down as western and root note trainedears?
but its probably what I'm hearing as that was my first source of shakuhachi music too.

then of course the next question, if the 'root' (should that even be a relevent point in traditional honkyoku) is other than 'Ro' tehn do different pieces have different roots. i.e. are they based on Tsu, Re, Ri as well as Ro?
I guess I'm so used to Modal instruments and some verymuch fixed root notes for certain instruments I may be 'stuck' in my approach?

a beginner learning,
thank you in advance for any light shed!
Storme
www.earthsong.co.uk

#2 2007-04-02 17:38:40

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: what drones/root note for traditional pieces?

Hi Storme,

Yes you have already thought this through on your own and come to some correct conclusions.

Honshirabe (or Choshi as it is also called) is not really a Dokyoku piece exclusively. It originated in Myoan and was adopted by other schools of shakuhachi. Basically it's a standard and there are numerous variants on the theme.

If you wanted to think of it in terms of a "main note" or drone, you are correct that would be re (G) on a 1.8 and whatever re is on other lengths.

The main notes on the shakuhachi are ro, re and ri. But we don't really think that much about a particular key or tonic note. Even when there is one we don't think about it. (Maybe someone else has a different opinion?) As far as drones are concerned except for certain versions of Tsuru no Sugomori the honkyoku don't use anything suggestive of a drone. Shakuhachi as a solo instrument has the attribute of free floating openness. A drone would ground the music too much.

Outside the tradition of Japanese music there are many people using the shakuhachi with drones in New Age music, jazz, whatever. Tim Hoffman, Yamamoto Hozan and others have also used the shakuhachi with Indian instruments and drones.

But if you want to have a light drone going in the background during Honshirabe re would probably be the best note to use. I hope this is helpful.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2007-04-03 07:12:52

Storme

Re: what drones/root note for traditional pieces?

Thankyou so much Tairaku, very clear answer.
I can now begin my gentle hunt for the right deeper shakuhachi!

kind regards
Storme

Board footer