Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-09 17:54:22

Bogert

Toyohashi

Any honkyoku teachers you guys know of in Toyohashi, Aichi, Japan? or nearby?  Thanks.  I won't be able to make it to Kyoto all that often for lessons.  So I need to have a local teacher.  Figured I'd ask before I get there in case anyone knows.

Chris

I found a few teachers, hopefully I can figure out how to contact them.  One Myoan teacher and one sankyoku type teacher.  If anyone finds some other teachers too, that would help, or the contact info for the Myoan teacher.  Not really looking to learn sankyoku so much.

Last edited by Bogert (2007-04-09 18:17:16)

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#2 2007-04-10 03:54:52

Josh
PhD
Website

Re: Toyohashi

Hey there,
   I did a little search for you in Japanese and it seems there is a nice Japanese traditional music store right near the Toyohashi station. That might be the best place to ask about local teachers of a particular school.  It's called "Yama no ya"
Here is the link, but it's in Japanese. At the bottom of the page is a map.

http://www.wagakki.co.jp/yamatoya/shop/index.html

〒440-0074 豊橋市上伝馬町64
Tel.0532-52-5286
Fax.0532-52-5557
e-mail:yamatoya@wagakki.co.jp

You will probably have a lot more options if you are able to make it into Nagoya city. For example,
Tano Tenku
矢野司空
名古屋
竹心会
名古屋市中区丸の内「おぜきや」(水)
知多郡阿久比町宮津「谷性寺」 (火)
052-231-4148
0569-48-6632

There also seems to be an interesting group called the Toyohashi Chiku Do Kai,
豊橋竹道会, led by Shiroi Kyudo (?, not sure how to read it exactly) 白井己童.

I would check out that store though and tell them what kind of playing you are interested in so they can hopefully guide you to a suitable teacher.  Good luck, but it seems like you have some options. Good tiume as any to brush up on Japanese too, not sure if any teachers will speak English.

Josh

#3 2007-04-10 11:51:56

Bogert

Thanks, I appreciate that.  My Japanese is limited, but I did find a Myoan shakuhachi teacher that lives in Toyohashi, just not the contact info...  I will certainly look for that shop.  Thanks.

Chris

理趣経百字の偈

#4 2007-04-10 19:33:23

Larry Tyrrell
Website

Hey Chris,

I'd just like to say to not preemptively devalue the benefit of sankyoku study particularly at your present state of development as a player.  Experience with sankyoku can bring you unimagined structure and disipline in your technique that will show benefits in your honkyoku playing.  If you have the opportunity I say take it.  The social networking (and chances to improve your Japanese) is by itself worth the effort.  Keep in touch and good luck.

#5 2007-04-10 19:54:31

Bogert

Well I figured I'll learn sankyoku with whomever I take lessons from, but don't want that to be the total focus.  I will check into it though, thanks for the advice. 

Chris

理趣経百字の偈

#6 2007-04-15 09:15:17

David Duncavage

Anyone interested in studying shakuhachi in the Austin Texas area please contact David Duncavage at dduncavage@austin.rr.com

Board footer