Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-10 03:47:16

Bruce Hunter

Ensemble Flute Lengths

Greetings, All!
In addition to the 100+ titles of European classical music ready for proof, I am currently preparing some duets, trios, etc., for shakuhachi ensembles and wonder what length instruments are most likely to be owned by people playing in groups. The idea being, of course, that there is no sense arranging music for combinations of instruments that are not likely to exist, nor to be readily available. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.
-Bruce

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#2 2007-04-10 03:59:02

Josh
PhD
Website

Re: Ensemble Flute Lengths

Hi,
It seems that the most common size is a 1.8, then a 1.6, then maybe a 2.4.
I think it gets more difficult to find a common ground among chokan, the longer flutes, but it
would be interesting to hear something other than the often used 1.8.

Josh

#3 2007-04-10 07:39:17

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

1.8 then 2.4, 1.6, 2.0, 2.7. After that the other lengths.

As you can see they are all related by fourths so orchestrating western harmonies would be easy.

I'd start with 1.8 and 2.4 to be safe then think about the other ones.

In the traditional repertoire there are some precedents for shakuhachi of varying lengths.

Nezasaha has songs arranged for 2.0 and 1.5 (a fourth apart) which you can also play on any two flutes with that pitch relationship.

Kinko honkyoku and gikyoku (not gaikyoku) has some duets for 1.8 and 2.0.

There are also gaikyoku in Kinko and Tozan which can be played in the honte on 2.4 and kaede on 1.8. Or I suppose any two lengths a fourth apart, but the koto players like 2.4 and 1.8.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2007-04-10 09:15:11

Rick McDaniel

I was advised to start with 1.8, then add 1.6 to go with orchestral music well, and a 2.4 for a nice lower key. Other keys as you like.

#5 2007-04-10 13:14:46

edosan
Edomologist

I think what Tairaku was getting at was a selection that'd work well as an ensemble of shakuhachi, say, a trio, or a quartet.

One of the living exponents of doing this beautifully is Kineya Seiho, who has written some great shakuhachi ensemble pieces.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2007-04-11 04:42:14

Bruce Hunter

Thanks Josh, Tairaku, Rick, and Edosan. While the professionals who so graciously share their hard-won knowledge and expertise on this form can no doubt get three full octaves (or more) on any instrument, the rest of us exist in varying configurations of player abilities and flutes that make the three octave assumption an unreasonable expectation for an arranger. Hence the request for flute lengths.
-Bruce

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#7 2007-04-11 05:40:52

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

I think what Tairaku was getting at was a selection that'd work well as an ensemble of shakuhachi, say, a trio, or a quartet.eB

Actually I was listing the popularity of lengths according to my observations as a performer and dealer in shakuhachi. Luckily for Bruce most of the popular lengths are related harmonically. James Nyoraku Schlefer has written several pieces for mass shakuhachi, usually using 1.8 and 2.4. We did one of his pieces at the festival in NYC which had numerous 1.8's and John Neptune and I did 2.4. Even using just those 2 lengths you can get a very wide range.

#8 2007-04-11 09:14:35

edosan
Edomologist

Bruce Hunter wrote:

Thanks Josh, Tairaku, Rick, and Edosan. While the professionals who so graciously share their hard-won knowledge and expertise on this form can no doubt get three full octaves (or more) on any instrument, the rest of us exist in varying configurations of player abilities and flutes that make the three octave assumption an unreasonable expectation for an arranger. Hence the request for flute lengths.
-Bruce

A genuinely musical and facile three FULL octaves would be a stretch for anyone, pro or no. I'd say one would be doing well to
hit a clean and predictable Chi dai kan on a regular basis.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#9 2007-04-11 18:06:32

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

A genuinely musical and facile three FULL octaves would be a stretch for anyone, pro or no. I'd say one would be doing well to
hit a clean and predictable Chi dai kan on a regular basis.

eB

John Singer told me a dog was annoying him on the beach so he played Ri dai kan and scared the mutt away! Shakuhachi is versatile.

Board footer