Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-11 23:09:29

dstone
Website

Fun with frequencies

So I don't clog the original thread with my ramblings, here's my commentary on black holes that resonate at B flat... 

This is true, of course, and was discovered several years ago.  The fine print on the "B flat black hole" discovery is that the B flat is 57 octaves below middle C.  By my calcs, this means the B flat is approximately 466.16 / (2^57) Hz.  3.23 femtohertz.  (I'm assuming A4=440 Hz; not sure what tuning astronomers use.) 

Anyways, this means the period of one of these "waves" is over 10 million years.  That's not even a wave in any reasonable (human) sense.  There's just no cycling or pulsing or rising or falling to detect or affect any life process.  It's a flat, horizontal line.  A DC signal.

Not even Brian has arms long enough for a shakuhachi like this, but if you wanted to create a drone flute of that frequency, it would need to be 18.9 quadrillion shaku long.  This is a real ballpark estimate... variables like wide or narrow bore aspect ratios would affect this.

Back into the audible range...  for those of us in North America, we can think of our light bulbs and electrical appliances as ringing at us between B and Bb.  (60 Hz is almost exactly 50 cents between B4 and Bb4).  In Europe and Australia, your gear is throbbing 35 cents sharp of G.

Wavily,
-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2007-04-11 23:21:52)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#2 2007-04-12 16:18:45

amokrun

Re: Fun with frequencies

dstone wrote:

Not even Brian has arms long enough for a shakuhachi like this, but if you wanted to create a drone flute of that frequency, it would need to be 18.9 quadrillion shaku long.  This is a real ballpark estimate... variables like wide or narrow bore aspect ratios would affect this.

Which brings us to a really bad pseudo-Zen joke. Is there a sound at the other end of the pipe if nobody can be bothered to walk all that distance to check it out?

Board footer