Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-03-31 00:11:53

Kabato

Node removal in chokan

I've been figuring out everything before starting on my first really long flute (it's about a 2.7) and I realized I have no good way to remove the inner nodes. The top and root holes are no problem, but I doubt there's a drill bit long enough to get all the nodes. What's the best way to get them out?

If you say that you do not need to fan yourself because the nature of wind is permanent and you can have wind without fanning, you will understand neither permanence nor the nature of wind. The nature of wind is permanent; because of that, the wind of the buddha's house brings for the gold of the earth and makes fragrant the cream of the long river.

-Eihei Dogen, Genjokoan

#2 2007-03-31 07:05:07

gmiller

Re: Node removal in chokan

Butterfly bits are made short and long. There are couplers and extention rods to made them as long as needed.
Also, I find a rounded course wood rasp very useful. This a special rasp made for shakuhachi bore work and available from mejiro. It ships with a threaded rod. The rod is ok for hand work, but not suitable for use in the drill (it is brass and will twist apart). To use the rasp as a drill bit I had a stainless bolt (threaded for the rasp) welded to a long steel rod. This worked well and I use only the steel rod instead of the brass rods that ship w/ the rasp. These wood rasps come in two lengths, one course cut, one fine cut. They are not cheap, but I highly recommend them for any bore work.

I might mention that rasping out the nodes is far smoother then drilling; there is no "shock" as the rasp breaks through the node as there is w/ a drill bit.

Last edited by gmiller (2007-03-31 07:06:42)

#3 2007-03-31 09:06:13

edosan
Edomologist

Another approach:

IF you have access to a cutting torch and a wire feed welder:

Get a coarse round rasp (and I mean COARSE), and a medium (still fairly coarse) one as well.

Get some 7/16 or 3/8 steel rod. It can be either mild steel (cheap) or drill rod (a bit more costly, but not bad). The drill rod is slightly stiffer.

Cut three inches off the business ends of the rasps using the cutting torch.

Weld each piece onto the ends of the rod--you can make two separate setups or weld a piece of rasp onto each end of one piece of rod.

The heat of the cut will detemper the rasps right at the cut, but they'll still be plenty hard where in counts.

Cheap, effective, and no waiting. It's likely you have a metal worker in your area who can do the cutting/welding for a few bucks.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2007-03-31 13:28:08

dstone
Website

Kabato wrote:

I've been figuring out everything before starting on my first really long flute (it's about a 2.7) and I realized I have no good way to remove the inner nodes. The top and root holes are no problem, but I doubt there's a drill bit long enough to get all the nodes. What's the best way to get them out?

I've never used a drill for this.  I put the root end of my bamboo on the floor and tamp through the membranes with very heavy metre-long pieces of steel rod.  (I picked these up for nothing from an industrial moving company -- one is about 15 mm in diameter and one is about 10 mm -- they're normally used as rollers to put under bank safes and other heavy things to be moved across a floor).  This took some faith the first time, but you can use a lot of force.  This is how I was taught and I've never damaged a piece and you don't really risk damaging the side walls at all either (something I'd worry about with a drill more).

After bashing out the nodes roughly, a long-handled ball-headed rasp removes the rest of the membrane meat.  Before I had a rasp long enough, I used two alternatives:  1) double-sided tape to wrap a few inches of very coarse sandpaper to the end of the metal rods or thin wooden dowels, and 2) a coarse needle rasp with the tapered metal end tightly inserted into some thin plastic PVC pumbing line as a long handle.  Neither of those solutions work as neatly or as quickly as rasp with a large ball (or teardrop) head welded to a metal rod.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#5 2007-03-31 13:56:46

kyoreiflutes
Website

Wow, Edosan, that sounds MUCH easier and cheaper than getting a bit from the local hardware store. wink

Darren, are you ever afraid of putting too much stress on your bamboo by using the bashing method? I've never heard of that method, but I'd be afraid of all the stresses. Drilling gives enough stress, in my opinion. Just curious.

I use a butterfly bit for all my nodes: I have short ones and long ones, and for hard to reach places, I use an extender. I recently used my longest bit on a very nice piece of 2.6 Madake, with lots of angles, and had no trouble at all. You just have to be patient, and get a feel for where the bit's gonna go through, and pay attention to your angles. If you look at the bamboo for a bit, get a feel for the angles, your drilling should go a lot smoother. Let the bit sink into the center of the node, and keep the angle of the bit from sliding into the walls. Practice on some lesser bamboo first.

I've yet to have a problem with this, even with crappy bamboo.

Good luck!

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#6 2007-03-31 21:49:50

dstone
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Darren, are you ever afraid of putting too much stress on your bamboo by using the bashing method? I've never heard of that method, but I'd be afraid of all the stresses.

Bashing (maybe "piercing" is a less fear-inspiring word), followed by rasping is nothing to worry about.  Driving the small surface area of of the rod against the large area of the membrane pretty much ensures the membrane will give and nothing else.  The inside and outside walls of the flute are naturally thicker at nodes (reinforced, almost like gussets), so everything else in the vicinity is plenty strong.

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Drilling gives enough stress, in my opinion.

Are you using a lot of force when drilling?  A sharp bit should do the work, no?  My only fear when drilling is that I'll accidentally score the bore walls.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#7 2007-04-01 14:10:47

kyoreiflutes
Website

I'm not using a lot of force, I try to let the bit do the work. Sometimes, though, it just feels like it's torquing around a lot, so you have to make sure it's centered correctly. It's really quite easy, but I do get nervous about tearing through the walls. I haven't to this day, though. In fact, the 2.6 came out so well that I'll barely have to touch the bore with sandpaper, if at all.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#8 2007-04-06 08:59:08

costademaria
Website

hi,i was using all of the mentioned methods but at the end i stopped at the fire method. blowtorch + 1meter x12mm cromed copper tube from a shower. heats faster than iron, can be bend easy to access curves. can be heated not only at the top but anywhere i need. also i use it to smooth the bore when i like. no need to sand after that.leaves very nice smell of fire when playing. the top is smashed to a form of conus. in fact i burn the finger holes also and underburn them instead of undercutting. 12mm cause i dont want to open the choke point more for the beginning. hope this serves sb.

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

#9 2007-04-17 16:27:22

John Roff

I do the same as Darren, with a piece of bar which I bend according to the bend of the bamboo. I found an angle at the end of the bar helps to get through the node membrane a bit more easily. The bar has been threaded, or, more recently, with a rough rasp end. Threaded bar can work as a kind of rasp, working the edges of the node mebranes when tuning.

dstone wrote:

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Darren, are you ever afraid of putting too much stress on your bamboo by using the bashing method? I've never heard of that method, but I'd be afraid of all the stresses.

Bashing (maybe "piercing" is a less fear-inspiring word), followed by rasping is nothing to worry about.  Driving the small surface area of of the rod against the large area of the membrane pretty much ensures the membrane will give and nothing else.  The inside and outside walls of the flute are naturally thicker at nodes (reinforced, almost like gussets), so everything else in the vicinity is plenty strong.

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Drilling gives enough stress, in my opinion.

Are you using a lot of force when drilling?  A sharp bit should do the work, no?  My only fear when drilling is that I'll accidentally score the bore walls.

-Darren.

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

#10 2007-04-17 16:30:42

John Roff

Hi Costa

I also burn my fingerholes. My only problem with this has been some very thick pieces that take a long time to burn through. These have developed short cracks from the holes, but don't seem to weaken the flute and have not yet developed into bad cracks.

Anyone else done this?

Cheers

John

costademaria wrote:

hi,i was using all of the mentioned methods but at the end i stopped at the fire method. blowtorch + 1meter x12mm cromed copper tube from a shower. heats faster than iron, can be bend easy to access curves. can be heated not only at the top but anywhere i need. also i use it to smooth the bore when i like. no need to sand after that.leaves very nice smell of fire when playing. the top is smashed to a form of conus. in fact i burn the finger holes also and underburn them instead of undercutting. 12mm cause i dont want to open the choke point more for the beginning. hope this serves sb.

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

Board footer