World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-22 17:06:10

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Japanese music for western instruments

Does anybody know whether there is a book or method which explains the basics of Japanese music using Western terminology and with examples that can be played by Western musicians and instruments?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2007-04-23 15:37:23

philthefluter
Website

Re: Japanese music for western instruments

There is the edition of Contemporary Music Review 'Flute and Shakuhachi' (available from Monty, I think). It is mostly about shakuhachi but some of the main principles of Japanese music are explained.  There is an in-depth explination of shakuhachi techniques by Iwamoto-san. There are also some useful articles from other journals I will look up.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#3 2007-04-23 16:46:09

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Thanks Phil,

Yeah, I was contacted by someone who wants to teach themselves Japanese music theory from a book and play it on Western instruments. When I explained that Japanese music doesn't even have a consistent notational system from instrument to instrument (in fact it's not notes, it's more like instructions), no score which can comprise all the instruments in an ensemble, that we never talk about music theory, blah blah, I realized how strange our practice is.

I told her she can learn some Japanese songs but that I don't know a simple way to learn the theory without learning some of the actual instruments.

#4 2007-04-24 16:38:46

Medit8b1
Website

Might I suggest "Traditional Japanese Music and Musical Instruments" (Yamaguchi Kan Series) as a possible starting point. While it is certainly not a Japanese music theory book, it does a good job of giving an overview of not only the different japanese instruments but styles of music (gagaku, noh etc.) as well. Just a thought.

#5 2007-04-24 17:42:47

nyokai
shihan
Website

The classic Malm book "Japanese Music and Musical Instruments" explains the basics of the scales, covers many forms of music, and even includes some appendices explaining the notation a bit. A very broad overview, but not bad as an introduction to the whole area of hogaku.

#6 2007-04-24 22:44:12

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

I think the most recent edition of the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (available at most universities) has at least one article giving a good overview of Japanese music theory and notation.  Also, ethnomusicologist Henry Johnson has a fairly recent (one or two years ago?) book out on koto entitled The Koto: A Traditional Instrument in Contemporary Japan, which supposedly gives very thorough coverage of that instrument.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2007-04-24 22:59:37)

#7 2007-04-24 23:15:17

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

All this information is helpful. But the question still remains, "How do you play hogaku on western instruments?". Sure Rampal made a CD with the Western flute, but it looks like shakuhachi is better at playing Western music than flute is at playing Japanese music. Interesting that.

#8 2007-04-25 10:34:27

mrosenlof

There is a Japanese composer Toru Takemitsu.  He has some number of compositions which mimic the sound of shakuhachi on a western flute.  (And some specifically for shakuhachi, I believe)  There was an article about him in the National Flute Association magazine "Flutist" about a year ago.  ("National" as in USA)

It's fairly easy to find flute/guitar (or maybe harp) arrangements of "Haru no Umi".  Seeing one of them might partially answer "How do you play hogaku on western instruments?"

I believe the western flute is considerably more popular in Japan than shakuhachi, so that might say something about how well it plays "japanese music" (however you define that).

I'm not aware of any texts in Japanese music theory.  I have a book of Japanese songs (mostly post-meiji well known songs).  Inside the front cover was a little description of the traditional Japanese scales (modes?).  All in western staff notation.

-mike

Mike Rosenlof

#9 2007-04-25 11:02:57

amokrun

Tairaku wrote:

When I explained that Japanese music doesn't even have a consistent notational system from instrument to instrument (in fact it's not notes, it's more like instructions), no score which can comprise all the instruments in an ensemble, that we never talk about music theory, blah blah, I realized how strange our practice is.

I used to think that this was rather strange. The more I kept playing the more sense it made. The way I see it now, writing down exact instructions actually limits your playing a fair bit. Not only are you somewhat stuck with that is on the paper you also start to think in those terms.

Imagine playing different variations of Ro. Even without opening any holes at all you can produce what seems like an endless amount of different types of sounds. Some have very fine details thrown in, others are dramatically different. The more you try to categorise these sounds the less variety you actually have.

I talk about this topic a fair bit with my father who plays several western instruments. It took him a while to understand the idea. To him, there is basically one way to play some basic scale. It sounds the same every time and if it doesn't, you are doing something wrong. Starting a sound from nothing and slowly building it up was "wrong" for him because D is supposed to sound like something and have consistent volume unless the notes say otherwise. He actually can't play most anything without notation even though he has gone through those pieces a million times. To him, the notation is the foundation of music in a sense.

A while ago I played a recording of some honkyoku for him. Can't remember what it was but it was played on a fairly large flute and it was the kind of piece where it's rather hard to find any individual notes at all. He listened to it and said "to me, this isn't about music. Its' about philosophy". It was perhaps the first time we agreed on something about the differences between the two completely different styles of music.

#10 2007-04-25 12:40:34

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

I would be great if she can study with you. She would play her instrument like shakuhachi. That would be ideal.
Depend from from the instrument, but maybe she can limit the fingerings she would use.
I am playing traditional shakuachi pieces with Western flute and I am using only D F G A C D keys, I try to play the rest with note bendings etc..
its fun:-)
G

#11 2007-04-25 18:04:41

radi0gnome
Website

amokrun wrote:

To him, the notation is the foundation of music in a sense.

I've noticed that this is a "problem" with a lot of musicians. I've come to the conclusion (many years after being taught it) that the notation is *not* the music, has nothing to do with the music, and is just an aid in memorizing and learning the music. A lot of very good Western musicians are lost without notated music. Part of the reason is the expansiveness of the repertoire they're expected to learn because it would be nearly impossible to memorize that many pieces, and partly because composers have come to realize that since the musicians are going to be reading the music and not memorizing it, they can write stuff that no one will ever be able to memorize in a reasonable amount of time. As far as it being a "problem", it is and it isn't. On one hand some of the most demanded musicians will be those that will be able to sight-read anything you put in front of them with minimal "teaching". On the other hand, I've heard old 78 recordings of flute players who I assume had much more limited repertiores than Galway or Rampal (I find it astounding how much those guys recorded), but sound as good as the best performances by those greats. Ie., I think something's been lost by demanding musicians to work as music machines rather than musicians.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#12 2007-04-25 18:49:59

caffeind

http://www.arvehenriksen.no/

This person uses shakuhachi-like elements on trumpet. I read somewhere that he just listened and mimicked.

#13 2007-04-25 19:46:09

amokrun

radi0gnome wrote:

As far as it being a "problem", it is and it isn't. On one hand some of the most demanded musicians will be those that will be able to sight-read anything you put in front of them with minimal "teaching".

I would bet that that is one of the reasons. Being able to play anything that gets thrown at you well enough means that you can perform anywhere and play just about anything. Naturally this is a good thing if you are in the business of making money from playing. I also think that notation being the fundamental representation of a piece has the advantage that it's easy to preserve music and teach it. You just need to learn the notation, learn to play something and you have instant access to more or less all the music ever made. Compare this to learning one piece at a time and it's easy to see why this approach is a good thing.

There is a lot I'd love to write about my views on the topic but I fear I've derailed this thread badly enough as it is. Maybe another thread on the topic would be a good idea at some point. It's certainly an interesting topic to cover.

#14 2007-04-25 20:32:26

radi0gnome
Website

caffeind wrote:

http://www.arvehenriksen.no/

This person uses shakuhachi-like elements on trumpet. I read somewhere that he just listened and mimicked.

It sounds like a lot of multiphonics on trumpet (the only audio I could find was on his myspace link). He's real good at it, and you can do multiphonics on shakuhachi, but it doesn't sound much like shakuhachi to me. Am I missing something? BTW, I absolutely love that sound he's getting.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#15 2007-04-25 21:13:41

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

I had a CD of that guy.Great player.

#16 2007-04-25 22:36:12

caffeind

Try the fourth track on his myspace site, bhavana.

Board footer