Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-20 11:12:25

amokrun

Writing a FAQ for this forum.

Greetings all,

I've been sort of tasked to the redundant department of the redundancy removal department of this forum. In other words I'm hoping to make an FAQ of questions that have been answered at least twice already and where further discussion most likely simply brings up the same answers again. For example, the answer to "where can I buy a tengai" has not changed much over the years and if someone asked about it again, we'd see the same answer posted that has been posted at least once or twice by now.

How should I organise the list? Would it be good to group the questions so that we could have a technique forum FAQ separately from history FAQ or should I throw it all together into a single list? Do you prefer questions with limtied scope ("where can a beginner buy a shakuhachi") or should I go for more instructional questions ("I want to get started, what now?")? Also, what is your stance on advertising? Should I mention that sites X, Y and Z sell shakuhachi so that people could check those out or do we want to keep a neutral stance on that and not recommend anyone in particular? We could aim for a "complete" list of shakuhachi makers on the Internet but that list would always be incomplete and that could potentially get annoying when someone fails to get mentioned.

I'm trying to get something written down soon so that everyone can see it and make suggestions and corrections. Ultimately I hope that the list would cover the kind of topics that don't necessarily need to be discussed again and would serve as a good starting point for those new to this forum. Back when I started here I actually managed to read through all the old threads (yes, honestly!). Right now it would be a different thing entirely and the rate at which people post only keeps going up. Search function is there, sure, but often threads that look promising don't actually contain the answer at all.

Please let me know what you think, preferably sooner rather than later. I have a stack of huge bamboo poles here and I will use them to bludgeon anyone who comes up with a wonderful idea after the list is already done that requires doing it all over again.

Thank you in advance.

#2 2007-04-20 12:51:41

jb

Re: Writing a FAQ for this forum.

Hi.

I vote for redundancy.  Leave all the repetition in place.  Music is very repetitious.  39 pieces or a fugue - redundancy everywhere, East or West.  Do you dream that new posters are going to research their question before submitting it?  I was a member of a flute list for a while and they endlessly repeated the same questions, but their archive was not online like this site.  But the same questions were answered the same way endlessly.  That seems to be what music is about.  Idiots repeating themselves.  Many of these people were not stupic.  But they acted that way.  Music is not about reason.

We have examples of reasoning about Zen which is about as rational as music.  If Zen is irrational like music, how are you going to build a database, a rational structure, that includes a Zen section?  Language is an intrument used by reason, but is not itself inherently rational.  Language is as arbitrary as music or nature.

I don't think an attempt to rationalize the shakuhachi forum is going to work.

jb

#3 2007-04-20 13:04:12

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

i agree.
No need for a FAQ.

But,in the other side, I have seen some forums where they have FAQ, but very minimalistic.
G

#4 2007-04-20 13:17:58

amokrun

jb wrote:

I vote for redundancy.  Leave all the repetition in place.  Music is very repetitious.  39 pieces or a fugue - redundancy everywhere, East or West.

I'm not entirely sure I get the connection between this and providing an easy access to answers.

jb wrote:

Do you dream that new posters are going to research their question before submitting it?

No, not everyone at least. I think libraries are a good idea even though I don't think that everyone visits them to learn something. Actually, although having less threads about the same topic is a bonus, I think the most impotant gain from having a compilation of commonly answered questions is that someone who wants to do the research can do so easily without having to wait for the answer for various questions or having to go through all the posts already on the forums. As our member count goes up - and this is great - we also start to get more and more posts.

When I want to learn about something for which there is some online presense, I almost always first go through the FAQ. This gives you a decent idea of what is being talked about in 15 minutes or less. Posting and getting a single answer usually takes longer than that and is almost guaranteed to fail to address many of the potential issues you most likely didn't even think of asking.

jb wrote:

I was a member of a flute list for a while and they endlessly repeated the same questions, but their archive was not online like this site.  But the same questions were answered the same way endlessly.  That seems to be what music is about.  Idiots repeating themselves.  Many of these people were not stupic.  But they acted that way.  Music is not about reason.

Maybe, but again, this is not music. This is a web forum which can be a very educational tool that helps many people - myself included - to learn more about a wonderful instrument. While complete chaos can be a good thing when you are playing, you usually want to avoid it when it comes to learning something.

jb wrote:

We have examples of reasoning about Zen which is about as rational as music.  If Zen is irrational like music, how are you going to build a database, a rational structure, that includes a Zen section?

Zen may be irrational but that doesn't make it in any way difficult to provide canned answers for some questions. Read through the topics on Zen forum right now. There is, for example, a topic on where to buy a tengai. That is not irrational in any way and allows for a simple answer that takes just few lines of text. I've seen the same question asked few times. Each of those threads provides some information which could be merged into a single answer somewhere. Next time someone needs to know he can simply look the answer up. Odds are that such an answer would be more detailed than any of the answers provided already. This is not to say that the same question will never be asked again but nothing short of merging the threads together will stop that from happening.

I hope that clears my view on the topic somewhat.

#5 2007-04-20 15:54:29

Bogert

Well the faq is a good idea I think.  Although they can search the site, or look around on the net for some answers, often people don't think of that before posting.  This would give them another option to see if the answer is there. 

Now on how to construct it....  Start with basic questions I suppose, like what is a shakuhachi.  Well that might be a bit basic, but you get the idea.  Then build up from there while looking through the posts to see what has been answered multiple times. 

I can see where the non-faq replies come from, but I think they missed the point. 

Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#6 2007-04-20 16:37:18

Rick McDaniel

FAQ's are not necessarily the way to go. (Too often just a rules section, especially on forums.) A Reference section, with information often asked, sounds clearer, and more succinct, for those to use, who would like to research information of that nature.

#7 2007-04-20 17:51:57

amokrun

Rick McDaniel wrote:

FAQ's are not necessarily the way to go. (Too often just a rules section, especially on forums.) A Reference section, with information often asked, sounds clearer, and more succinct, for those to use, who would like to research information of that nature.

If I understood your point correctly, you disagree on calling it a FAQ? If so, I agree. I was trying to come up with something that makes more sense since what I'm essentially looking to do is closer to a compilation of useful facts from this forum. It doesn't necessarily need to be in a question-answer format at all, at least not entirely.

Good name ideas are very much welcome.

#8 2007-04-26 14:13:28

Zakarius

Perhaps I'm not exactly up to date, but I believe I recently read a post by Tairaku requesting a moderator who would be willing to answer questions by posting links to articles within Shakuhachi Forum which already addressed the topic (http://shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=1109). That sounds quite similar to a FAQ to me...

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#9 2007-04-26 14:20:41

amokrun

Zakarius wrote:

Perhaps I'm not exactly up to date, but I believe I recently read a post by Tairaku requesting a moderator who would be willing to answer questions by posting links to articles within Shakuhachi Forum which already addressed the topic (http://shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=1109). That sounds quite similar to a FAQ to me...

Good observation. That is, in fact, why I posted about it. I talked to them about it and figured that this could be a good way to get started. Like said, it doesn't really eliminate the need for such a moderator but it hopefully makes it easier for those who want to research things to do so.

#10 2007-04-26 18:37:39

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

amokrun wrote:

Zakarius wrote:

Good observation. That is, in fact, why I posted about it. I talked to them about it and figured that this could be a good way to get started. Like said, it doesn't really eliminate the need for such a moderator but it hopefully makes it easier for those who want to research things to do so.

Thanks amokrun. Yes the idea is that when newcomers join the forum they may ask something, say, "What's an utaguchi?". This topic may have already been covered but it didn't occur to the new person to use the search function. If you could then point them in the direction of the answer to their question it's more helpful than just saying, "Use the search function". Of course everybody's on their own in some ways when it comes to using a forum, but we are also all in it together.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#11 2007-04-26 23:33:16

Zakarius

Tairaku wrote:

Thanks amokrun. Yes the idea is that when newcomers join the forum they may ask something, say, "What's an utaguchi?". This topic may have already been covered but it didn't occur to the new person to use the search function. If you could then point them in the direction of the answer to their question it's more helpful than just saying, "Use the search function". Of course everybody's on their own in some ways when it comes to using a forum, but we are also all in it together.

Is there any way to post a glossary of terms which can be updated instead of making a long conversation page? If so, that would solve common questions like "what's an utaguchi?" As for other common questions, perhaps a similarly constructed page could be made listing the questions and short answers...

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#12 2007-04-26 23:54:56

mrosenlof

Komuso.com has a moderately complete glossary page.  http://komuso.com/glossary.html

Mike Rosenlof

#13 2007-04-27 04:12:43

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

mrosenlof wrote:

Komuso.com has a moderately complete glossary page.  http://komuso.com/glossary.html

Thanks for the good suggestion, I posted it in Miscellaneous.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer