World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-24 02:07:57

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Piece for opening a tea house

I am playing at the opening of a new tea house. Does anybody know if there are any pieces associated with new ventures, auspicious beginnings, things of that nature?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2007-04-24 12:53:04

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Piece for opening a tea house

Brian, I can't remember the name of the piece, but there's that piece that you play for a new baby. That could be good. A business can be like a baby, and I doubt the piece itself cares. It's more about the intent.

I know that Perry played this piece for a friend's baby's birth like last year or so... maybe he'll remember the name of the piece. I just know that you put rice through the flute before playing; maybe you could put some tasty tea through the flute before starting.

Good luck, and let me know what happened.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2007-04-24 13:11:13

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

I don't know to many japanese songs but, something "Happy" will work.

#4 2007-04-24 14:10:17

shaman141
Website

I believe the name of the birth piece is Sanan.

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#5 2007-04-24 14:20:36

Moran from Planet X
Website

Any of the crane pieces could work. Tsuru no Sugomori, Sokkan Reibo.

Ho Gyo Koku (Phoenix Crying in the Empty Sky) - a Taizan Ha piece that Riley Lee has recorded.

(Cranes, Phoenix = Auspiciousness in Japanese culture.)

Uji Meguri - an Ikuta Ryu with shakuhachi. Example from  poem:
In the spring breeze
which blows across the fields of tea,
harvested for countless generations,
the floating sleeves
of the goddess Saohime,
spring bearer of Kotobuki ["good fortune"]
are like Wakamidori ["young and green"]
She shyly shows to public view
Hatsumukashi ["first-picked tea"] ...

Like-wise tea centered: Cha No Yu Ondo

Honkyoku inspired by festival music like the lion dances Azuma Jishi and Kumoi Jishi.

And Asuka Reibo which sounds upbeat and very much like it could have been a lion dance or festival piece.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2007-04-24 14:23:42)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#6 2007-04-24 14:26:22

nyokai
shihan
Website

In the sankyoku realm, Yachio Jishi is often played for auspicious occasions and as a celebration (eg. at weddings).

#7 2007-04-24 15:55:25

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Thanks guys!

#8 2007-04-26 14:19:17

kyoreiflutes
Website

Brian, it could be really interesting to have a poem spoken while you play, which is kind of what it sounds like "Uji Meguri" is. I'm not familliar with it, so I'm not sure. Could be nice, and that poem certainly has to do with tea!

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#9 2007-04-26 18:32:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Thanks everybody,

I played "Kumoijishi" upon the advice of Nyogetsu and Nyokai. Then people wanted more so I played "Azuma no Kyoku" and "Reibo."

That was for the private opening. I will also be performing one of the first days it's open to the public.

#10 2007-04-26 18:37:07

kyoreiflutes
Website

Lucky Teahouse. wink

Glad it went well.

-E

#11 2007-04-27 04:11:53

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Your tea house sounds like a great place for both tea and shakuhachi.  Kumoijishi is a personal favorite of mine, being a short and sweet celebratory piece.  I just played it for a friend's wedding up at a Shinto shrine in the Shikoku Mts last Saturday; American-Chinese husband and Polish wife settling down to live in a small Japanese village.  We had tea, as well as delicious village prepared tataki, sashimi, and mountain vegetables including takenoko (young bamboo shoots), and numerous toasts with beer, sake, and vodka (the latter courtesy of the father from Warsaw) at the lively party afterwards, and it was a real international affair for such a small village (population 1500), with wedding guests from Poland, Australia, England, Mongolia, China, and the U.S.A.

#12 2007-04-27 04:16:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Daniel Ryudo wrote:

Your tea house sounds like a great place for both tea and shakuhachi.  Kumoijishi is a personal favorite of mine, being a short and sweet celebratory piece.  I just played it for a friend's wedding up at a Shinto shrine in the Shikoku Mts last Saturday; American-Chinese husband and Polish wife settling down to live in a small Japanese village.  We had tea, as well as delicious village prepared tataki, sashimi, and mountain vegetables including takenoko (young bamboo shoots), and numerous toasts with beer, sake, and vodka (the latter courtesy of the father from Warsaw) at the lively party afterwards, and it was a real international affair for such a small village (population 1500), with wedding guests from Poland, Australia, England, Mongolia, China, and the U.S.A.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! that sounds like a great time. Those kinds of shakuhachi gigs are fun.

#13 2007-04-27 04:58:40

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Yeah, it was a fun gig.  We showered the newlyweds with rice, flower petals, and shabon dama (soap bubbles little kids in Japan usually blow from tiny bottles) as they walked through the shrine grounds. There was a Japanese nihon buyo dancer and some waltzing too.  Some of the older villagers appeared a bit befuddled as the dinner in the village community center wore on as perhaps the wedding was less structured than the typical Japanese wedding.  They seemed reassured when the wedding cake finally appeared.  The bride and groom really got into the feeding each other pieces of the cake, smearing it on and becoming very white faced in the process.  Playing shakuhachi at weddings is usually very enjoyable for me as I really get caught up in the celebration.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2007-04-27 05:19:32)

Board footer