Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-27 09:34:23

amokrun

Something funny I noticed about blowing into bottles.

I just noticed something funny while I was blowing into a bottle. Yes, my job can be rather quiet at times. Anyway, I'm sure everyone who has tried to blow into something like 0.5L bottle that is empty has noticed that the sound you get is fairly deep. It's rather close to something like 2.5 Ro. I've noticed that playing shakuhachi makes you pretty good at blowing into bottles. I can nowdays make a rather massive sound of just about any sort of bottle with very little effort. As I was practising Kan notes, I happened to think what would happen if I tried the same technique on a bottle. After all, you can meri with a bottle and do all sorts of other tricks - why not Kan notes.

Turns out, you can indeed blow a Kan note from a bottle. It took me a moment to figure out the right way to blow but now I can get there fairly consistently. It's a great way to practice blowing because very slight mistakes cause the sound to die instantly. Bottles are also much easier to find than shakuhachi. Although bottle is basically equal to a shakuhachi with no holes, you can easily enough alter the pitch by putting something there. Filling the bottle almost completely gives the sound a nice vibrato-like effect as the water starts to move around.

Either way, I found this amusing enough to share even though some of you may already be aware of it or find this rather obvious. Now to see if it is possible to reach the next step or not...

#2 2007-04-27 11:46:18

dstone
Website

Re: Something funny I noticed about blowing into bottles.

Two bottles close at hand.  Here's data for you...

330 ml Perrier...  a bit flat of A3 or a 2.4 flute, then flat of F#6 when overblown

330 ml Stella Artois...  G3 or a 2.8 flute, then sharp of C#6 when overblown

Because bottles are open only at one end, unlike our flutes, I don't think overblowing will ever get you a tidy 2 f.  On a clarinet (that's also open at only one end) for example, overblowing gets you 3 f, skipping the even harmonics.  Though the bottles seem to actually pop up much higher than anything simple like that.  Something like 5.5 f or 6.5 f, probably depending a lot on the shape in addition to volume.  So "kan" might put you in very strange musical territory on bottles. 

I guess you'll have to "explore" many more beverages to really know for sure.  In Canada, we could probably apply for a science grant for that, as long as it's beer and rye we're exploring...

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2007-04-27 12:20:31

radi0gnome
Website

dstone wrote:

On a clarinet (that's also open at only one end) for example, overblowing gets you 3 f, skipping the even harmonics.

Then why does overblowing a sax give an octave jump? That's a closed end too.

I tried with a 12 fluid once Saranac Orange Cream soda bottle, nice sound, I can circular breath. Now I'm wondering why I ever bothered spend so much on didjeridu. I think it's around a G. The overblown note is way up there, more than an octave, but I'm not sure where.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#4 2007-04-27 12:52:45

kyoreiflutes
Website

Has anyone ever taken a thick-necked bottle and cut an utaguchi into it? I can imagine that some bottles would take an edge like that really well, especially if it's thick.

Then what would happen if you cut the bottom off, or put holes in it? Would it work as a tuned instrument?

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#5 2007-04-27 12:53:08

amokrun

dstone wrote:

So "kan" might put you in very strange musical territory on bottles.

Yes, because as we all know, blowing into bottles is a well defined area of music. :-)

I still find it rather interesting that the sound you get is very easily *very* loud. I have no trouble whatsoever beating Ro on any shakuhachi I own with just about any bottle. You don't really even need to push it. It makes me rather curious as to whether the sound is affected mostly by the amount of empty space, the shape of the bottle or the fact that it's a closed container. I'm going to buy a bunch of huge bamboo staves soon enough for a small decoration project I'm working on. I think I'll first turn one into a holeless shakuhachi and see what that does to the sound when the amount of empty space inside grows greatly. And yeah, I tried to buy that monster flute that Mujitsu made off of him back when he posted some pictures. I wonder what happened to it. Would have loved to get my hands on that thing.

dstone wrote:

I guess you'll have to "explore" many more beverages to really know for sure.  In Canada, we could probably apply for a science grant for that, as long as it's beer and rye we're exploring...

You know, I'm betting that it would make a good story at pubs if you wrote your thesis on the musical uses of beer bottles. You could try to earn a drink or two by promising to drink enough from a 0.5L bottle to get a perfect A out.

#6 2007-04-27 14:52:41

dstone
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

Then why does overblowing a sax give an octave jump? That's a closed end too.

Yes, but with a very conical bore.  Normally a closed cylindrical bore will overblow to a twelfth above (i.e. 3 f).  But a sax is far from cylindrical.

This is an educated guess only.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#7 2007-04-27 16:05:05

Ambi

Ah 'tis something I've played with a fair bit, but not since actually getting a shakuhachi - it was a always a game to play "until".
I used to be able to get a few diferent notes from a bottle, when I've time (on my own!) I'll have to have a go with a tuner, but I'm pretty sure that an octave (at least) is possible, but not with good tuning (at least with a wine bottle), try tipping the bottle so that you are blowing more down into the bottle than the traditional across, but I think the embrochure needed is not that similar to shakuhachi, I'm certainly not as annoying with a bottle as I used to be!
I've also tried cutting an utugushi style end on the shoulder of a pop bottle, reinforce with bluetac and there is some good fun to be had.
I think that the volume is a function of a closed volume though, putting holes in a bottle, ocarina style, never really worked to get more than one extra note, and really limits the volume.
Happy Blowing!
Ambi

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

Board footer