World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-18 07:55:40

Requiem Of The Forsaken
Website

Let's be friends!

Hey there everyone.

I'm Josh, I'm 21 and my hobbies include playing Wadaiko (Japanese drums) and more recently the shakuhachi and yokobue.
I'm Vice President and Instructor of Taiko Drum, the Wadaiko group here in my home town of Hobart. It's great fun and really energetic. I'm new to the shakuhachi, I've just recently had my first lessons with Brian "Tairaku" Ritchie, but before that I was self taught for about 6 months on a homemade (not by me) "shakuhachi" I've been told should be used to poke fires with. So needless to say it didn't help much.

I'm a uni student, studying Japanese, Chinese (Madarin) and Asian studies, I'm also doing Psychology as an elective.

I have issues where I think too much, I can't switch off, the only time I can stop thinking is when I'm listening to music I love. However when I heard the shakuhachi, I wanted to play it! I love the sound of the shakuhachi, when I play alone, not trying to complete exercises, it's another way I can stop myself from thinking, of anything, of everything, it gives me a clear mind.  Corney I know.. but ask any one who knows me, I'm rarely seen without my headphones and a couple of my housemates have told me to leave cause I'm too loud and it's flaring their migrains. hehehe. I believe that the term Tairaku told me today was "If they were hip Jazz cats they'd have told you to go woodshedding!" I like that.. think I'll keep it.

Anyway, I'm an open book with clean pages and my only active ambition with the shakuhachi is that I just want to be able to express myself through it... and maybe learn Soran bushi hahaha.. Have no particular style I want or don't want, any experiance is good experiance to me.

so, with nothing left to be said,

Let's be friends! wink

Josh

"Let's be friends! ...If not, there's a waiting list."
"A student visited his master and said: "Master, this morning I played really well, it sounded fantastic, the best I've ever played!" The master simply replied: "Don't worry, it'll pass." - Tairaku

#2 2007-04-18 11:44:05

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: Let's be friends!

hey Josh,
welcome to the Forum.
Shakuhachi is a great.
It will help a lot for your asma. Woodwinds help a lot. David Sanborn (the sax player) had asma, his doctor told him to play sax..good advice:-)

Peace
Geni

#3 2007-04-18 12:18:01

Leland

Josh,

Happy to be your friend, welcome!

I was a professional musician for about 5 years when I became so ill I had to take an extended break. It turns out (after a lot of huge bills thanks to western medicine) that I had a hiatal hernia (rupturing of the diaphragm with the stomach) from straining my voice and not using my diaphragm correctly. It was a naturopathic doctor that originally made the discovery. She recommended that once my diaphragm healed a little that I play NAF to strengthen it. I didn'tsmile But years later the shakuhachi has really began helping that area feel better. It also promotes mindfullness and that is an important key to wellness. I'm a very new player, but I have already felt the benefits in many aspects of my life. Good luck with your new endeavor. I hope it improves your overall state of well being.

Leland

#4 2007-04-29 16:57:21

Ash

Requiem Of The Forsaken wrote:

I'm a uni student, studying Japanese, Chinese (Madarin) and Asian studies, I'm also doing Psychology as an elective.

Heh, how odd! I'm also an Asian Studies student, doing both Japanese and Mandarin as part of the course. And I'm a member of a taiko group, as well! No psychology elective for me though. wink

Even though I live in Melbourne I've never been to Tassie, unfortunately. sad Got a few friends there I'd like to visit... hopefully one day soon.

Board footer