Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-12-29 17:12:51

kyoreiflutes
Website

Instruction books/CDs: can you suggest one or two?

I'm looking on Shakuhachi.com at thier various instructional books and CDs, and was wondering if anyone with experience with these could give me a few opinions about them. I'm just not sure what to get first, or why.

Keep in mind that I'd prefer to have a book with a good accompanying CD that follows the examples clearly. I'm really serious about learning.

Here's the list of stuff they have for sale:

Shakuhachi Flute Playing Guides

*  Masayuki Koga, SHAKUHACHI: Japanese Bamboo Flute (with CD) PG-3 $67.50

*  Masayuki Koga, SHAKUHACHI ESSAYS PG-5 $10.00

*  Masayuki Koga, EXTRACT OF MASTER TECHNIQUES FOR SHAKUHACHI- Advanced Playing Guide PG-6 $55.00

*  Christopher Yohmei Blasdel, SHAKUHACHI: A Manual for Learning (with compact disk) PG-1 $75.00

*  Yoshinobu Taniguchi, HOW TO PLAY THE SHAKUHACHI: A Guide to the Japanese Bamboo Flute (with CD) PG-2      $32.50 (CD Only - $16.50)

*  Yoshinobu Taniguchi & Michael Gould, HOW TO PLAY CLASSICAL SHAKUHACHI - Book 1 PG-11 $25.00

*  Takashi Tokuyama (with Barry Nyosui Weiss), TAKE-NO-MICHI: THE PATH OF BAMBOO: A Beginner's Guide to Learning Shakuhachi Honkyoku (with CD) PG-4 $35.00

*  Carl Abbott, BLOWING ZEN: One Breath, One Mind (with CD) PG-7 $30.00 (CD Only - $15.00)

*  John Kaizan Neptune, SHAKUHACHI: A Tozan Playing Guide (with CD) PG-8 $30.00

*  Robert Grous, INTRODUCTORY MANUAL FOR KINKO HONKYOKU PG-9 $12.50

*  James Nyoraku Schlefer, SHAKUHACHI WORKBOOK: Daily Practice Exercises for Technical Development (with CD) PG-17 $40.00

Thanks!

-Eddie

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2005-12-29 17:15:25)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2005-12-29 19:19:13

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Instruction books/CDs: can you suggest one or two?

I recommend all students to get James Nyoraku Schlefer's book and CD as a supplement (not a replacement) to their other studies. It's excellent because it will build your technique even in the absence of lessons. It is not however an instructional guide to basic shakuhachi, it is a book of exercises.

As far as the others go, Taniguchi, Tokuyama, Abbot and Blasdel would all give you a good start as long as you can play along with the CD. Blasdel's book also has a very interesting history as well as playing instruction. For honkyoku Tokuyama's is perhaps the simplest. They are all fine books with different things to recommend them.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2006-01-01 21:46:22

James

Tairaku wrote:

I recommend all students to get James Nyoraku Schlefer's book and CD ...

I also recommend Schlefer's book book of exercises, but I didn't think the CD added much. Also, my copy of the CD was a custom CD-R with a stick-on label and didn't play very well -- it wasn't balanced in my player or something.

I have both Koga's beginning book and Neptune's. I didn't learn from them since I had a flesh and blood teacher, but I use both for reference. There's lot of good info in both of them, though the writing in Koga's book is rather dense.

I also have Blasdel's book, and I really ought to read it someday. The companion CD is also a CD-R -- it plays fine, but I wish someone had told me before I bought it. I don't believe CD-Rs last as long as commercially produced CDs, but that's more of a personal gripe.

James

#4 2006-01-01 22:43:54

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

James wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

I recommend all students to get James Nyoraku Schlefer's book and CD ...

I also recommend Schlefer's book book of exercises, but I didn't think the CD added much. Also, my copy of the CD was a custom CD-R with a stick-on label and didn't play very well -- it wasn't balanced in my player or something.

I have both Koga's beginning book and Neptune's. I didn't learn from them since I had a flesh and blood teacher, but I use both for reference. There's lot of good info in both of them, though the writing in Koga's book is rather dense.

I also have Blasdel's book, and I really ought to read it someday. The companion CD is also a CD-R -- it plays fine, but I wish someone had told me before I bought it. I don't believe CD-Rs last as long as commercially produced CDs, but that's more of a personal gripe.

James

If you already know how to play and have good pitch, then James' CD is unnecessary. The book has exercises that benefit even advanced players. But for absolute beginners who have yet to develop their pitch the CD helps as a pitch reference. Thus how advanced you are determines whether you need the CD.

As far as CD-R's are concerned unfortunately a lot of Shakuhachi CD's come in this format because pressing 1000 copies commercially is not feasible for many projects. You can dump them into your computer right away so that when they deteriorate and stop playing properly you have a backup.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2006-05-29 14:32:55

evan kubota

Out of curiosity, what pieces do Tokuyama's book and CD cover? I assume the recording is on a 1.8?

#6 2006-10-11 19:12:48

graham in oz

Tokuyama Takashi is a good book for beginners but his shakuhachi is a bit on the sharp side- as much as 20 + cents or more in places especially 'I" otsu that is D above C above middle C [third line D]

This may be a problem for beginners.

Otherwise an interesting book. There is also a short extra article which is free download someplace I cant recall offhand [Barry's site?] which complements book.

There are no Honkyoku scores or instructions with book.

/\

graham In Oz

#7 2006-10-11 21:01:05

Larry Tyrrell
Website

Eddie,

What you need is to get out and have a lesson.  I know this may sound self-interested
since I teach in Seattle but it is about having actual contact with and an opportunity
to benefit from the experience of a real-life teacher.  Your question is really only cogent
for someone who is in an isolated place and has no other good option but 'remote' study
using a book and CDs.  You would derive much more lasting benefit from even just one or two
lessons in real-time than any amount of self-study with a book no matter how good.

Think about it.

Best regards,

Larry

#8 2006-10-11 22:43:16

Josh
PhD
Website

Eddie,
   I 100% agree with Larry. I know you may think that money spent on something tangible will be longer lasting, but there is nothing better than a private lesson with good teachers, who happen to be in your area btw. Even if it means a bus trip or a few hours drive. If you want to be a participant n this tradition it's worth it.
Also, if the teacher doesn't have a problem with it,  you should record your lessons. This is a great way to improve before the next lesson so your teacher isn't telling you the same thing each class. Go home and listen to your mistakes, compare your pitch to your teachers, listen to his/her advice, and then you will be ready for more correction next time. Teacher's don't like telling the same people the same thing every time, just as you don't like hearing it. Instead of stocking up on books, take a few lessons with a teacher. 1) they will be able to advise you which books to get. Or ideally 2) they will supply you materials and enough information to keep you busy for a long time. Just my 2 cents.
Josh

#9 2006-10-12 00:18:19

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

I haven`t heard from Eddie for a long time..
Hope he is still playing..

#10 2006-10-12 16:09:07

philthefluter
Website

I recommend the Neptune book and CD if you are interested in Tozan-ryuu.  The notation is different from other styles though. The starting exercises are good for a beginner. there are also folk tunes and a piece by Neptune.

Everything by Taniguchi is excellent as well though they are very detailed and more usual as you advance. There are tutors included in the Annals of the International Shakuhachi Society volumes I and II but no CDs.b

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

Board footer