You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2007-05-09 12:51:46

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Second Octave Tuning

Tairaku wrote:

If you are new to making and are not an advanced player yourself the best thing you can do is seek out a good shakuhachi player (preferably who plays the way you would like to sound) and seek input from them.

I think this advice is very important! I would also recommend seeking out makers as well. In addition to questions, take the extra step and send these people your flutes! Ask how you can improve. The best in the shakuhachi world understand their duty. They will respect you for taking action. The best way to rise to the next level is to get out of your comfort zone, take constructive criticism, then persevere.

In the west, we do not have a shakuhachi making guild system. It's the responsibility of beginners, teachers and makers to raise the bar collectively. Otherwise we remain stagnant.

Tairaku wrote:

Here's the reality of shakuhachi making. It takes a long time and some luck to get good at it. And the more you work the luckier you get!

dreamofnobody wrote:

Your advices is very abstract like “keep trying and you will win”. In any case thanks.

The science of shakuhachi making is very important for a maker to grasp. However, there comes a time when a maker steps into the huge valley between theory and practice. In terms of giving shakuhachi making advice, this is when it becomes difficult, if not impossible, to answer technical questions in technical terms. Sometimes there are so many variables involved that a technical response is poor advice and has the potential to do more harm than good. This is when experience is the best teacher. I don't know of any shortcuts or obvious fixes once you've made it to the valley.

All the best in your flutemaking!

KL

Board footer