Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-25 11:58:24

pagacks
Troll

Inside bore just below utaguchi

Should the inside bore area just below right after  the utaguchi be completely flush or as I observe in some flutes there is a slight hump ? Is this an imperfection or is there a purpose for this hump?

#2 2007-04-26 04:24:32

Karmajampa
Website

Re: Inside bore just below utaguchi

I have read that leaving some of the node at that point may assist in sustaining a note, likened to an airplane wing, the note will not 'stall' easily. I have no opinion as to whether this occurs, I now clean this node completly.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#3 2007-04-26 14:17:11

kyoreiflutes
Website

I had been wondering this myself, after seeing some "pro" flutes that didn't have that area sanded flush. I would personally assume that the smoother, the better. It's like that with every other flute, am I correct? At least as far as the inside goes. Perhaps I'm wrong.

My flutes seem to play better and smoother when that area is smooth. I can also get into Kan easier.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#4 2007-04-29 16:52:01

costademaria
Website

i noticed that if i clean it perfectly i dont like the sound of the shakuhachi and especually the ro, so i always leave a bit, but may be thats my lips.  bit even so if i need to sand it  entirely for reason of opening more the bore after that i imitate it by filing  a bit. my experience is limited but for my manner of blowing this affects especually the vibration into the fingers felt when opening the holes.

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

#5 2007-05-10 18:54:55

pagacks
Troll

Due to a desire to increase volume and to reach easily the higher notes, I filed flush the jutting membrane below the utaguchi.
     It did increase the volume but reaching the higher notes is doubtful. On the other hand I felt that a nice dark timber was lost. Also a quick attack on the ro was also lost.
     I hope I need to just adjust my embouchure.

1. But does an embouchure produce a dark tone? How?
    2. How does an embouchure make a quicker attack?
    3. Did my filing flush the membrane really cause the loss of the dark tone and the quick attack?

Next time I will leave more of that membrane part below the utaguchi. Or I'll fill it up once again to comfirm my theory.

Last edited by pagacks (2007-05-10 19:28:40)

#6 2007-05-12 01:51:35

pagacks
Troll

I filled up that part which I sanded and what do you know. I happily got back the dark tone and the quick attack on the ro. Even the ro kan was easy to produce. Surely it has got also to do with my original embouchure.
But maybe others can try on a demo flute and relate their experience. I may be wrong as I said it probably depends on one's embouchure. Mine is happily made for a dark tone.

Board footer