Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-05-16 10:08:00

jaybeemusic

Ri - no sound - just air

Hi everyone,

I've got a problem that's just stumping me.  I've made probably 50 or so shakuhachi so i have a little bit of experience (not nearly enough though i might add,  smile 

I just made this new one but when i play Ri otsu, i get nothing, just air.  i've measured, and the hole placement it's correct.  I know there's no holes/cracks in the bore, i've sealed it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  All the other notes are playing fine, and are at the correct pitch more or less.

I'm pretty sure it's not my playing (i'm not great but i can play all the other ones i've made so i'm assuming it's the flute.  Or maybe it's the maker....who knows?  smile

Jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#2 2007-05-22 05:24:37

costademaria
Website

Re: Ri - no sound - just air

too deep utaguchi or problem with the shape of the shakuhachi in the  node area near the 5th hole or the 5th hole itself may be. thats what i think. or may be too small holes?

Last edited by costademaria (2007-05-22 05:25:24)

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

Board footer