Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-05-22 19:29:02

pallo

search for fingering

Someone can help me? Where can i find the fingering of a 1.8 shakuhachi with all the notes that i can make?
Thanks

#2 2007-05-22 20:08:38

dstone
Website

Re: search for fingering

pallo wrote:

Someone can help me? Where can i find the fingering of a 1.8 shakuhachi with all the notes that i can make?
Thanks

Hi Pallo.  Google is your friend.  Second result, searching for shakuhachi 1.8 fingering, gives this:

http://www.shakuhachi.com/Y-FingeringChart-p1.html

There are others if you look, but that's a fine one.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2007-05-22 22:22:27

Zakarius

Here's another which looks sharper (through Perry told me a couple of the alternate fingerings on the bottom aren't standard):

http://www.shakuhachiflutes.com/f5.pdf

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#4 2007-05-23 09:59:36

pallo

GREAT!!!

But some stuff about the technique like bear down, bear up, the position of the mouth for same sound, etc etc...?

#5 2007-05-23 10:01:11

pallo

SORRY FOR ALL THI S QUESTIONS...But i'm from italy and in this place there are no teachers...I must learn to play alone or with your help...

#6 2007-05-23 10:37:18

amokrun

pallo wrote:

SORRY FOR ALL THI S QUESTIONS...But i'm from italy and in this place there are no teachers...I must learn to play alone or with your help...

Although I don't know the situation in Italy, as far as I understood there are quite a few teachers around Europe. Some of them might be close enough so that you could visit them occasionally. Some members on this forum also offer online lessons which are the next best thing if you really have no way to reach anyone. For example, there are no teachers in Finland either and thus I have no choice but to go to Sweden. It really comes down to finding the time and figuring out where to go to.

As far as the fingering charts go, most charts are made for people who get the basics from a teacher or at least have a book on the topic. It would be really hard to cover topics like how to keep your lips in a chart if you wish for it to be less than 10 pages. At that point it really stops being a chart.

If you insist on learning alone and decide not to look for a teacher, I would recommend buying the book Blowing Zen by Carl Abbott. Shakuhachi.com at least carries this and it should be quite affordable even with the shipping costs. That book covers most of the basic issues like blowing, fingerings, how to sit and so forth. There is enough material in it to keep you busy for years. It's been roughly two years for me now and I still haven't outgrown the book.

#7 2007-05-23 14:13:42

marek
Website

Hi pallo,

excellent possibility to choose yourself a teacher, progress in your skill and find what style suits you the best are the two summer schools held in France and Czech republic this year, one in July, the other in August. Information about the first one you will find out www.shakuhachisociety.eu, second will have a web page on www.shakuhachicollegium.cz set up in couple of days. Or, you can contact me directly, I will gladly make everything clear to you.

Bye,

Marek

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

Board footer