Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-05-29 13:22:38

radi0gnome
Website

PhD Abstract on Flute Embouchure

This is for silver transverse flute, but I'm pretty sure the concepts translate to shakuhachi very well. Click on the second page of the abstract to get a PDF of the fun stuff.

http://www.rdbflute.com/RDBDE.html?gcli … ZAod6FRSSQ

I found this via the advertisements that have been floating on the index page of this forum. Robert Aitken is a brilliant flutist, you can find some recordings of him with the percussion group Nexus that I think would appeal to a lot of people that read this forum.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#2 2007-05-29 17:20:21

edosan
Edomologist

Re: PhD Abstract on Flute Embouchure

This is quite a worthwhile site (thanks radi0gnome); one of the features thereon is a flute/guitar duo (Billington & Gonzalez), with many mp3 links on the page sampling their wares.

Here's the page:

http://www.rdbflute.com/bg.html

Here's an mp3 of a Japanese piece I liked:

http://rdbflute.com/Shun-San.mp3

eB

Last edited by edosan (2007-05-29 17:22:36)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2007-05-30 08:28:15

caffeind

Kakizakai sensei talks a lot about this air pushing the lips business. He calls its the 'automatical meri kari technique', where the air pushes the bottom lip. Ive never heard him talk about the top lip, but it looks to me like he stretches the top lip out to the sides somewhat, and the tension combined with the air stream pushes the bottom lip out. The movement requires a gentle closing of the lips to get the air forming the shape, so you cant start it with a tight or set embouchure. This is just how things look to me when I observe his embouchure from the outside, but I feel it when I practice to some extent. He also talks about opening up the inside of your mouth a lot.

I dont know how far one can get just reading about this. I think you really have to be shown how to practice it, be led by the teacher and constantly be exposed to a better sound to fully understand the extent to which this technique can be exploited.

#4 2007-06-01 13:47:38

radi0gnome
Website

That's interesting about the Japanese teacher referring to a similar technique. From other posts I've read I was under the assumption that most shakuhachi teachers were like most silver flute teachers and had their students trying to contort their mouths in various ways and looking in mirrors to see what they are doing. In my (admittedly non-professional) experience, that kind of thing doesn't get you very far. It's OK to do, and it's probably a good idea not to stop entirely with that kind of experimentation, but too much time spent in that area can often be chalked up to time wasted.

My own observation is that while I can fool myself into thinking that I'm blowing with a very relaxed embouchure, a look in the mirror will reveal that there is a lot of muscular activity going on. Ie., those facial contortions you see the most flute players make aren't necessarily deliberate, but are just inherent in creating sound.

I agree about the limitations of reading about the techniques, and that the writings are probably best used as a supplement along with a teacher familiar with them. However, a lot of teachers have done a lot of studying in the best way to produce sound, have found what works well, but never document them. Another issue is that good teachers like that aren't exactly a dime a dozen.  I think the guy who wrote the thesis chose a very good subject.

#5 2007-06-01 15:43:45

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

the best thing is- Just Play the Instrument (play/practise/taking lessons) that will give all the answers.

G

#6 2007-06-02 12:56:53

radi0gnome
Website

Aside from just food for thought, I found that abstract inspiring. I just tried to see if I could hold a tone for 60 seconds like Robert Aitken says you should be able to do. I was just barely able to do it after many attempts. I could only do it on the note that has the thumb and first finger holes covered (I first tried on Ro, but 30-35  seconds was the limit there on the first few attempts so I doubted I could stretch it enough to get it to 60) and with a light breath (not the way I'd like to play) and those last 5 seconds were kind of shakey. This was on my Perry Yung 2.2, I'll have to try it with some of the other flutes I have sometime too. It's a good way to pass time, each attempt taking about a minute and about 1/2 to a full minute of recovering/breathing in between attempts.

Board footer