Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-06-02 22:06:19

Zakarius

Original composition...

My first original composition, titled Break in the Clouds, is just under 3 minutes long. It's dedicated to Perry Yung, the crafter of the 3.3 (D#) shakuhachi I recorded it on. Any constructive criticism is welcome as this is only the beginning wink

http://www.esnips.com/doc/7addbbbb-f42c … ntheClouds

P.S. thanks to earthspiritflutes for indirectly introducing me to a site for hosting tracks (www.esnips.com) without a chaotic format.

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#2 2007-06-02 23:48:49

Zakarius

Re: Original composition...

Oops... I accidentally had it in a private folder. It should work now yikes

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#3 2007-06-03 02:23:47

radi0gnome
Website

Constructive criticism? Come on, you know it's good. I've been waiting to hear one of those long flutes. Thanks for posting it.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#4 2007-06-03 09:01:57

earthspiritflutes
Website

Yes very nice, I love the deep sound. It takes me on a journey.

The only thing I have to say is make it longer next time ;-)

#5 2007-06-03 10:24:33

Harry
Website

Nice, well done.

If I had to criticise it I'd say that there could be a bit more of a rolling build up to the section that moves a lot about 3/4 of the way through... a bit more 'tension' leaning into and maybe out of that. Some really nice intervals there as is.

Regards,

Harry

Last edited by Harry (2007-06-03 10:25:13)

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

#6 2007-06-03 17:33:56

Zakarius

Thanks for your initial comments, especially to Harry about adding 'tension'. My failure as a good poet is probably also due my not getting enough tension in my poems... that and the fact that I'm sane.

I'll see what I can do with my next piece wink

Zakarius

#7 2007-06-03 20:54:28

Harry
Website

I've found that people who think that they are sane are generally madder than those who like to think that they are a bit "mad".

Its nice to go a little bit mad from time to time... I must stress that I am NOT a health professional! ;-)

Regards,

H.

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

#8 2007-06-03 21:59:33

shaman141
Website

Great piece, sounds really nice, I liked the intervals also. The only thing I would change would be the jumps into the second octave when your blowing strength increases.... not mistaking the second octave for mic distortion:) Which can also have it's place with certain compositions, but if that's what you intended forget I said anything.

-Sean.

Last edited by shaman141 (2007-06-03 22:01:18)

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#9 2007-06-03 23:20:19

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

good song man!!!
composing is not easy.

how did you record ?

Geni

#10 2007-06-04 09:55:02

Zakarius

shaman141 wrote:

The only thing I would change would be the jumps into the second octave when your blowing strength increases.... not mistaking the second octave for mic distortion:)

It's not mic distortion but intentional... perhaps it was a bit too much -- thanks for the comment.

geni wrote:

how did you record?

I recently bought my first MP3 player/recorder which I saw one of my ESL students using to record me during class. The quality is remarkably good for such a tiny contraption and it only cost about US$30. I recorded the piece in an underground swimming pool & fitness area and that gave it a nice reverb.

Zakarius

#11 2007-06-05 10:18:49

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Jim and Zak,
I am greatly and deeply moved that you have made the effort to generously share your music with the world!  More importantly, you both have captured the essence of the individual shakuhachi experience.

The shakuhachi is used by people from all walks of life for every aspect of musical and spiritual journeys. Whether one wants to play shakuhachi music, western music or simply blow long tones for vibrations, those that stay with it inevitable find a unique path that enriches their lives and the lives of those around them. What's most important, IMHO, is that one finds the most honest and heartfelt connection with the instrument regardless of the usage. It sounds like the both of you have made that connection. When I hear great music, I ask, what is it that I really hear?  The composition, the player, the instrument? To me, nothing rings louder than the convergence of the soul and the universe through an instrument (medium). Words can not express the joy and gratitude I feel. What more can a flute maker ask for.

With a deep bow,
Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer