Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-01-05 10:24:00

totst

utaguchi inserts

Hi
Is there an online store I can get acrylic for utaguchi inserts? I heard there are pre-shaped bars but from Mejiro. I'm sorry but most of the time the language barrier just screws up the order. I'm looking towards the US or UK, or Aus or wherever english is not a difficulty.
Thanks all.

Tots

#2 2006-01-05 11:21:39

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: utaguchi inserts

totst wrote:

Hi
Is there an online store I can get acrylic for utaguchi inserts? I heard there are pre-shaped bars but from Mejiro. I'm sorry but most of the time the language barrier just screws up the order. I'm looking towards the US or UK, or Aus or wherever english is not a difficulty.
Thanks all.

Tots

Tots,

In the US there is a chain plastics store called Tap Plastics. (I don't know if they sell online) You can buy an acrylic sheet and cut the strips to size. Some local hardware stores and picture framing shops might have acrylic sheets as well. Googling "acrylic sheets" is likely to find some sources.

Ken

#3 2006-01-05 14:12:27

kyoreiflutes
Website

Thier new site is better:

http://www.mejiro-japan.com/system/index_e.php

If you're ordering stuff from them, and don't have to ask a bunch of questions, then I seriously doubt language is a problem. They speak english, and they've been dealing with westerners for years, so I really wouldn't worry about it. Stick to ordering the proper product #, and you'll be fine.

Did you have a hard time ordering from them before?

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#4 2006-01-05 19:12:02

totst

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Thier new site is better:

http://www.mejiro-japan.com/system/index_e.php

If you're ordering stuff from them, and don't have to ask a bunch of questions, then I seriously doubt language is a problem. They speak english, and they've been dealing with westerners for years, so I really wouldn't worry about it. Stick to ordering the proper product #, and you'll be fine.

Did you have a hard time ordering from them before?

-Eddie

Yes, that was a long time past and looking back I may have asked before checking what was online .The site looks a lot better now. I see what I need and will try to make the order. Thanks.

Tots

#5 2006-01-06 01:55:30

James

totst wrote:

Is there an online store I can get acrylic for utaguchi inserts?

I walked into a local plastics shop and asked if I could buy a small piece of black acrylic. They pointed me at the scrap bin and said I could have a couple of pieces for free.

They also said they'd cut it to size for me for a fee. I decided to do it myself with a hack saw, so I didn't get around to asking them if they did the kind of angle cuts I'd need.

I know a fellow who used a plastic "pen blank" from a woodworking store. It's intended for people to turn out bodies for ball point pens on a lathe. They come in a variety of colors and iridescent effects.

James

Board footer