Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-11-17 12:36:47

Thorsten
Website

utaguchi

I would like to get some advice on making the mouthpiece / utaguchi for a shakuhachi. I am still a bit confused about how exactly it is inserted into the bamboo. Some illustrations seem to show a slot being made and then a thin 'guitar-plectrum' like plastic piece is inserted but the ready-made mouthpieces on the mejiro web-site seem to suggest a different approach alltogether.
(http://www.mejiro-jp.com/eng/cataloguee … thpiece%20(Utaguchi)

Has anybody used those ready-mades - any good ?  How many mouthpieces can I get out of the whole piece ?  Do I 'simply' cut a segment out of it, glue it into a prepared angled cut at the blowing edge and then sand down the back of it to conform to the shape of the inside bamboo curving and then adjust the crescent like shape on the blowing edge ? What are good alternatives ?
Before I used piece of bone (cut out of beads) for a utaguchi and sanded it down to fit into a kinko style cut but I seemed to had to file and sand forever - it didn't quite feel like the way to do it. Any advice appreciated.

#2 2005-11-17 13:59:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: utaguchi

Thorsten wrote:

What are good alternatives ?

The best alternative is to not use an inlaid utaguchi. It is unnecessary. Some of the best flutes don't have any utaguchi.

Hopefully some of our expert makers will weigh in on this subject.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2005-11-17 15:46:05

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Thorsten wrote:

Before I used piece of bone (cut out of beads) for a utaguchi and sanded it down to fit into a kinko style cut but I seemed to had to file and sand forever - it didn't quite feel like the way to do it. Any advice appreciated.

Thorsten,

I haven't used the ready-mades. It's relatively easy to make your own by cutting a piece with the following specs: 22mm x 6mm x 100mm or more. It's easier to work with a long piece then cut it off after it's glued into place.

The principles of wood joinery can be applied to utaguchi making. The idea is to create as much contact area between the utaguchi material and the bamboo wall. That way, it's less likely to pop out. It's helpful to think of the utaguchi as an "arrow." (perhaps someone has an illustration of this to post?) Then, you can file it a little here and there until it wedges into your angled cuts in the bamboo. Glue it in with urushi or whatever glue you are usuing, cut off the face, and file it down inside and out.

Acrylic, hardwoods, horn, ivory, vegetable ivory all work pretty well.

Tairaku wrote:

The best alternative is to not use an inlaid utaguchi. It is unnecessary. Some of the best flutes don't have any utaguchi.

Or, like Brian mentioned, don't use one. In my experience there is little, if any, functional difference in playability in flutes made with or without an utaguchi. One argument for the use of an utaguchi is that they are hard so they protect the blowing edge. A counter argument is that they chip easily and that a damaged natural blowing edge is easily repaired. It can also be strengthened by painting with urushi.

Perhaps the main function of the utaguchi is to distinguish the particular school? Any thoughts about this from anyone?

#4 2005-11-17 19:51:20

edosan
Edomologist

While it's true that, all other things being equal, there's no difference in performance between an inlaid and plain utaguchi, one pretty important consideration is that, over time, the plain utaguchi will wear, requiring reshaping from time to time. This can affect the RADIUS of the utaguchi--ie, how far it's curvature extends into the flute shaft--thus increasing the size of the 'hole' created by the utaguch and the lips; a pretty important factor in playability.

An inlaid utaguchi will keep this variable from changing.

Chipping is something I always used to worry about; obsessing over the care and feeding of my utaguchi inlays, until I got my hands on Masayuki Koga's 1.8, which has an utaguchi inlay that looks like it was hit with a hatchet! Plays great. In fact, Koga refuses to have it repaired, lest it mess up his beloved flute.

Just for fun, it's possible (although a bit tricky on the hands/fingers...) to turn your shakuhachi upside down--that is, with the utaguchi against your chin--and blow on the OTHER side of the blowing opening, and get a decent sound. Forget about meri/kari, though smile

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2005-11-17 20:03:07

edosan
Edomologist

Regarding the shaping of the material which is inlaid (ie, the acrylic, bone, ivory...): I don't have a way right now to post a drawing, but perhaps this will help:

Consider the piece of inlay material to be a tapered dovetail, in which the dovetail is a triangle in cross section (the triangle has a wide base).

The opening in the flute shaft which receives this 'dovetail' is cut so that it also tapers slightly, but LESS than the inlay material. This way you get a nice tight fit between the inlay material and the cutout in the bevel.

When you do the inlay, the wide base of the inlay material goes against the wide part of the opening; you put the 'point' of the tapered dovetail (also looks like an arrowhead...) into the flute shaft, and the wide end just sticks up at a sharp angle out of the bevel.

After completing the fitting, trim off most of the 'point', and glue the piece in place, lop off the piece sticking out of the bevel, and remove what's left of the point from within the bore.

Make sense?

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2005-11-17 21:46:43

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

edosan wrote:

While it's true that, all other things being equal, there's no difference in performance between an inlaid and plain utaguchi, one pretty important consideration is that, over time, the plain utaguchi will wear, requiring reshaping from time to time.

Hi Ed,

I've assumed for many years that this was the case. However, lately, I've personally questioned how much truth there is to that. I wonder if the amount of wear on a bamboo edge is really as serious as we tend to believe? Or, if a few coats of urushi takes care of any weakness? I also wonder if an utaguchi inlay becomes more of a technical problem over time compared to the wear of a natural edge? I don't know.

A growing hunch is that the aesthetic appeal of an utaguchi is very strong among shakuhachi buyers. I think there is also a sense that a shakuhachi without an inlay may be lower in quality. (which sometimes may be the case) Makers tend to make what players want, so the practice continues.

This is all said from a makers perspective and we're obviously on relative ground here. From the other end, I certainly respect and understand the aesthetic appeal as well as the tradition of lineage. As the shakuhachi evolves, I also find it interesting to question and ponder these things.

In any event, thanks for continuing the dialog. It's now time to blow on the chinrest!

#7 2005-11-18 03:09:00

Andre

Thorsten wrote:

Do I 'simply' cut a segment out of it, glue it into a prepared angled cut at the blowing edge and then sand down the back of it to conform to the shape of the inside bamboo curving and then adjust the crescent like shape on the blowing edge ? What are good alternatives ?

Hi Thorsten,

I dont know how many different techniques exist in making utaguchi inserts. However, I would recommend NOT to glue the thing in for the following reason. It may happen, that you damage the utaguchi and it will look like my original (I will post a few pictures over the weekend). Then it is extraordinary beneficial if you can replace it by simply pulling the damaged thing out and measure the angles, make a copy out of plastic or whatever and insert this copy into the slit. The pre shaped materials for utaguchi inserts listed in Mejiros cataloque are especially made for those non glue utaguchis.

Andre

#8 2005-11-18 13:41:54

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Thorsten,

I hope this helps. The angle of the wedge placement is steep to allow for more contact between the utaguchi and the bamboo wall. If you are careful with the angles, it should wedge in tightly.

These examples are based on illustrations in Carl Abbott's book, Blowing Zen.

Ken

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/utaguchi.JPG

#9 2005-11-18 16:18:12

Thorsten
Website

Thanks Mujitsu - a illustration can say so more than words.

Mujitsu wrote:

The angle of the wedge placement is steep to allow for more contact between the utaguchi and the bamboo wall. If you are careful with the angles, it should wedge in tightly.

But just to doublecheck; So rather than inserting the plastic (or similar) piece vertically, ie parallel to the flute bore it is put in at an angle and protruding quite a bit over the oblique angle of the mouthpiece (side view in illustration?) and subsequently cut off and filed down. What I thought was that the plastic has to be shaped first into a shape which is more or less perfectly flush with the oblique angle before inserting it, that's why I reckon I sanded too much when I tried last time...

edosan wrote:

While it's true that, all other things being equal, there's no difference in performance between an inlaid and plain utaguchi, one pretty important consideration is that, over time, the plain utaguchi will wear, requiring reshaping from time to time. This can affect the RADIUS of the utaguchi--ie, how far it's curvature extends into the flute shaft--thus increasing the size of the 'hole' created by the utaguch and the lips; a pretty important factor in playability.
An inlaid utaguchi will keep this variable from changing.

Another advantage I thought an inlaid utaguchi may provide, if I visualise correctly, is the problem of the radius in case the bamboo has rather thin walls ( This may be one of the reasons makers use thick-walled bamboo to make Shakuhachi ?). I would have thought one is restricted in relation to the oblique angle of the mouth piece in the first place if the bamboo is too thin-walled ??
If that really matters for playing the thing in the end I do not know and as also mentioned maybe the whole utaguchi thing has more to do with a kind of tradition than with the overall playability of the Shaku.
Personally I  think it is rather nice to have a utaguchi inlay as it gives the shaku this particular look of contrast between the rough root-end and the delicate man-made mouthpiece. Maybe not just aesthetics but kind of symbolic as well.

Anyway I better start cutting that bamboo...

#10 2005-11-18 17:25:46

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Thorsten wrote:

But just to doublecheck; So rather than inserting the plastic (or similar) piece vertically, ie parallel to the flute bore it is put in at an angle and protruding quite a bit over the oblique angle of the mouthpiece (side view in illustration?) and subsequently cut off and filed down. What I thought was that the plastic has to be shaped first into a shape which is more or less perfectly flush with the oblique angle before inserting it, that's why I reckon I sanded too much when I tried last time...

You do need to file the inlay to make it fit like a dovetail. Once you have the bamboo cut, file down the inlay to fit as shown in the illustrations below.

Yes, the angle is very steep. Once fitted, the inlay protrudes far beyond the "face" of the flute. It makes it much easier to work with when the inlay piece is long. Then just cut off the protruding inlay outside and file. Then file the protruding inlay inside the bore flush to the bamboo, then sand.

An utaguchi is basically cutting out space from the bamboo, then replacing that space with the utaguchi.

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/utaguchi2.JPG

#11 2005-11-19 10:14:42

lee

edosan wrote:

Just for fun, it's possible (although a bit tricky on the hands/fingers...) to turn your shakuhachi upside down--that is, with the utaguchi against your chin--and blow on the OTHER side of the blowing opening, and get a decent sound. Forget about meri/kari, though smile

that is fun

#12 2005-11-19 14:35:35

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Thorsten,

Since I'm on an illustration binge, here is a more accurate angle for the utaguchi. The same illustration appears above in an earlier post if you "reload" your browser. I've seen some inlays where the angle is not as severe. However, this angle allows for greater surface contact. A little experimenting and you'll find what works. 

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/utaguchiangle.JPG

#13 2005-11-20 23:23:03

Moran from Planet X
Website

Mujitsu wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Or, like Brian mentioned, don't use one. In my experience there is little, if any, functional difference in playability in flutes made with or without an utaguchi. One argument for the use of an utaguchi is that they are hard so they protect the blowing edge. A counter argument is that they chip easily and that a damaged natural blowing edge is easily repaired. It can also be strengthened by painting with urushi.

Perhaps the main function of the utaguchi is to distinguish the particular school? Any thoughts about this from anyone?

I have long harbored many superstitions about the different shapes of utaguchi. I used to believe that Tozan style was best designwise  because it offered the most available surface contact between breath and a nice sharp, hard blowing edge.  After the past year of getting to play many different types of flutes, my superstitions have considerably weakened.

I have a lovely two-piece 1.8 Bifu-kai (from the 1930s I think) that had a worm-eaten horn Kinko inlay which Perry Yung refurbished beautifully. If I were Koga, I would think about having Perry look at his flute.

Perry frequently uses a very nice style of inlay which he calls 'Sogawa' or 'Kinya' style after his teacher. Looks very similar to how I understand Meian (Myoan) utaguchi appear. He has a lovely 2.6 on eBay right now with an example of this utaguchi made with a gray pearl acrylic. Very nice, elegant look. Perhaps he could post a picture of that blowing edge here some time.

I had Ken LaCosse (Mujitsu Shakuhachi) re-inlay a 1.9 Meian nobekan which I went on to resell, but frankly I had a very hard time letting go of that instrument after Ken's new utaguchi -- it really increased the tonal flexibility and depth of the instrument.

I have a 1.65 hochiku which Ken made from Chinese bamboo and I marvel at the simplicity and elegance of the plain inlay-less blowing edge. I will probably have Ken paint some urushi on it some time for safety sake, but again that may be more my superstitious need than real need. I keep all of my instruments capped and in bags and don't plan on chewing on the blowing edges at any foreseeable time in the future.

Lastly, I wonder:  What determines the actual depth of the blowing edge? I have noticed some flutes have shallower edges than others. I have seen 2-4mm in depth. The shallower ones which I've played seem more repsonsive to me -- but then, that's just me.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2005-11-20 23:26:45)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#14 2005-11-21 00:16:23

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Perry frequently uses a very nice style of inlay which he calls 'Sogawa' or 'Kinya' style after his teacher. Looks very similar to how I understand Meian (Myoan) utaguchi appear. He has a lovely 2.6 on eBay right now with an example of this utaguchi made with a gray pearl acrylic. Very nice, elegant look. Perhaps he could post a picture of that blowing edge here some time..

That is a very nice utaguchi style. It's similar to the Myoan (or Tozan) style, except less wide.

Chris Moran wrote:

Lastly, I wonder:  What determines the actual depth of the blowing edge? I have noticed some flutes have shallower edges than others. I have seen 2-4mm in depth. The shallower ones which I've played seem more repsonsive to me -- but then, that's just me.

Depends on how you blow. A deeper blowing edge is more responsive in terms of the amount of furi and meri you want to bring to your playing. Tonally a deeper blowing edge is more responsive if you can blow hard and bring the flute to life. For a softer breath, a shallow blowing edge is more responsive.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#15 2005-11-21 14:04:28

kyoreiflutes
Website

I mostly side with Brian and Ken, in that most older Shakuhachi, and some amazing newer ones, dont' have any inlay, and possibly sound better. Well, they might sound a little better to me. I've also seen a few flutes out there that sseem like great flutes, up until I see that they didn't do a good job with the inly; it just seems like it's easy to mess up if you're not amazing with them. I just personally prefer a very plain, simple style; there's nothing wrong with actually blowing ON bamboo. wink

However, Ken had a stunning, bring-me-to-tears-because-I-couldn't-buy-it-at-the-time 1.9 that had the most beautiful inlay I've ever seen, so I guess it just depends on the maker, and how well they can integrate thier inlays.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#16 2007-05-26 16:25:42

Arjay

Ah, this thread answered some of my own questions about utaguchi. But I have two more questions, if anyone still reads this thread. Also, thank you for the illustrations, Mujitsu. I've saved them for future reference.

First question: what are the practical differences between Kinko and Tozan utaguchi? Is it simply an issue of tradition, a matter of aesthetic preference or is there a functional difference? Is one more difficult to make than the other? My uneducated point of view leads me to think that it simply shows the player's adherence to Kinko or Tozan school. But is there any more to the different styles than that?

My next question is even more practical. What do you use to cut the utaguchi slot in the bamboo? I'm guessing it's a small hand saw of some kind. Is it something I could find at Home Depot or some similar place? Also, I have a Dremel tool here. Traditionalists may find my love of power tools repugnant, but would it be practical to use for this?

Thanks for any help!

#17 2007-05-26 16:36:05

gmiller

Mejiro.com sells files made specically for Kinko and Tozan insert; also template guides. The files are pricey, but hand made and well worth the money

#18 2007-05-26 16:45:05

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Arjay wrote:

First question: what are the practical differences between Kinko and Tozan utaguchi? Is it simply an issue of tradition, a matter of aesthetic preference or is there a functional difference? Is one more difficult to make than the other?

My next question is even more practical. What do you use to cut the utaguchi slot in the bamboo? I'm guessing it's a small hand saw of some kind. Is it something I could find at Home Depot or some similar place? Also, I have a Dremel tool here. Traditionalists may find my love of power tools repugnant, but would it be practical to use for this?

Thanks for any help!

Welcome Arjay,

I do not know of any functional difference between the Kinko and Tozan utaguchi. In theory, an utaguchi is removing space then replacing that space with a hard material. With the right tools, I don't find one to be more difficult than the other.

You can use chisels, knives (exacto-blade), and files to remove the slot. I find files to be the most helpful. The right files are more difficult to find.

A dremel tool can be used to remove the extra inlay in the bore. However, a good file will give you more control.

In the end, whatever works! The proof is in the pudding!

Good luck.

Ken

#19 2007-05-26 20:31:33

Arjay

Thanks for the quick replies!

I don't know Japanese, so it may take awhile for me to browse Mejiro.com. But it's still good to have a resource for the specific tools. Thanks for the reference, gmiller. It's been bookmarked, and I'll browse through it with Babel Fish or some similar tool.

You make a good point, Mujitsu. I'll leave the Dremel for the larger jobs and use tools with more fine control for the utaguchi. Also, if there appears to be no functional difference between the two styles (and I work up the courage to attempt this) I think I may go with Tozan. Thanks for helping me solidify my ideas a bit further.

#20 2007-06-12 08:51:49

nomaD43

Arjay,
There is an English form of the Meijiro site: http://www.mejiro-japan.com/system/index_e.php
This should help to navigate easier.
Have you also looked at Monty Levenson's site: http://www.shakuhachi.com
Monty has boatloads of shakuhachi related anything, not to mention a great guy.

Board footer