Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-06-10 11:26:51

Lorka

The Hocchiku Glow

Hello all,

I am recently the proud owner of my first wide-bore 2.7 hocchiku flute, from Perry.  I am very proud of it and am bonding with it and forming a strong connection.  I often just walk around the house carrying it about with me.  I will show pics soon, and Perry tells me that he will put the pictures of it on his blog. 

Being new to Hocchiku I recently got quite a suprise....

After playing for about 20 mins or so I ran my hand about an inch or so above the top of the flute and I felt a kind of glowing residual warmth coming from inside the bore.  I had not experienced or heard of such a thing before, but it was quite noticable.  Lacking anything else to call it, I called it the Hocciku glow.  I have spoken to Perry and Shaman141 (Sean) and they both report similar things.  I guess it is probably to do with the width of the bore and the rentention of warmth.  Whatever the case may be, the glow is a very nice characteristic of the Hocciku and a wonderful suprise. 

Now this will sound crazy too.....  I have recently sprained my hand, so I began massaging my hand with the bamboo by gripping it and turning in circular motions, creating a bit of warmth/heat from the friction.  After doing this this "warm up" my hands felt a bit better, but the funny thing is, the flute itself seems to like it too, as it plays much more smoothly after its "massage".  I know it sounds weird, but I have done this a few times now, and each time the flute seems to be more responsive to me afterwards.  Odd, I know.   

These instruments really are amazing, and I begin to see what many people on the forum say when they mention a kind of positive energy or metaphysical aspect that is present in some bamboo instruments.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#2 2007-06-10 20:16:06

dstone
Website

Re: The Hocchiku Glow

Lorka, congrats on a great flute by a great maker! 

Your observations don't sound crazy at all.  Hocchiku have so many great qualities, ironically, because they're so darn simple!  Closer to nature, more familiar maybe, very satisfying to hold and just play around with, I think.

Re/ using the flute as a hand massager...  that's a good idea. I also find hocchiku nice for pounding the body for invigoration/circulation.  Chest, back, arms, legs, etc..  I wouldn't advise that with a little two-piece flute!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2007-06-11 07:38:36

Harry
Website

Darren,

Just to clarify; that's pounding your own body, right???

Regards,

H.

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

#4 2007-06-11 19:42:37

dstone
Website

Harry wrote:

Just to clarify; that's pounding your own body, right???

Yes. 

Unless you've been extra naughty, Harry.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#5 2007-06-11 20:13:43

Harry
Website

Ooh, saucy!

"The beatings will continue til moral improves..."

On a serious note: ahem, I've just realised that I hold the shakuhachi too tight. This is timely news for me as its made me aware that I do it on other instruments as well. I'll certainly try Lorca's method. Darren, beating myself with this thing in my house might encourage some pent-up participation from my far-from-appreciative audience.

Regards,

H.

#6 2007-06-11 21:01:14

dstone
Website

Harry wrote:

On a serious note: ahem, I've just realised that I hold the shakuhachi too tight. This is timely news for me as its made me aware that I do it on other instruments as well.

Lying back on bed or floor and playing with the flute up in the air is something you might try.  This helps gravity hold the flute in position, somewhat, so it might give you a glimpse of relaxed arms, wrists, and hands while blowing.  But this also changes the embouchure and meri and kari a lot.  Probably can't hurt.  Unless someone steps on you.

-Darren.

#7 2007-06-12 19:07:41

Harry
Website

Darren,

I just tried a stint in the missionary position, then I played the shakuhachi- arf, arf...

The problem is only really in the bottom hand, and is compounded somewhat by my learning a veritable pain in the thumb-hole of a tune on another flute.

Yes, it is completely resolved when I lie down like that. I'm trying too hard for Tsu meri, and I tend to grip tighter when I'm going to sustain higher notes. This is all good to know. I think I need to relinquish the delusion of control over Tsu Meri, let it rip as it will be for a while ;-)

Any more moves for me from the Karma Flutera, Sensei?

Thanks & regards,

Harry.

Last edited by Harry (2007-06-12 19:08:41)

#8 2007-06-12 21:18:48

dstone
Website

Harry, your idea to relinquish control for a while and let the fingers fall where they may is a good one, I think.  No sense in straining or forcing anything.  I'm planning to make a new 3.4 this weekend in a chokan workshop and an unfamiliar flute of that size will probably give rise to new tensions in my hands.  Gently... gently...  smile

Also on a hand health note...  Years ago I had a massage therapist who recommended immersing hands in a pan of piping hot sesame oil to relieve tension.  You can, he claimed, use the cheapest grade sesame oil and reuse the mixture many times.  Tried it a few times.  Yup, felt and smelled nice.  Hands come out feeling "different".  He did this himself, since massage therapists tend to develop their share of hand tension and strains.  I don't know if this is substantially different than simply a hot water bath.

Maybe try playing flute after relaxing the hell out of your hands for while with heat or massage or something and see what your grip wants to do then.

-Darren.

Board footer