Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-01-09 20:07:09

jeff jones
Website

What makes a Meian Shakuhachi a Meian Shakuhachi

I'm not guite sure where to put this questian,so I geues I'll put it here.I've been trying to find out what the differance between a Meian Shakuhachi,and a Fuke Shakuhachi is.I geues what I'm trying to say is what makes a Meian Shakuhachi a Meian Shakuhachi and so forth.Are they jinashi or jiari etc.I've been unclear about this for awhile and thought it about time I ask. Thanks

Sorry about the misspelings

Beauty is ugly at rest

#2 2006-01-09 23:00:52

edosan
Edomologist

Re: What makes a Meian Shakuhachi a Meian Shakuhachi

Hi Jeff,

One thing I'd suggest is that, if you haven't already, you read Tairaku's interview of John Singer. He doesn't specifically address the construction differences issues you are asking about (and I'm not sure there really IS a definitive and clear answer to your question anyway--only perhaps a broad and general one), but John Singer is a very good player, and is devoted to collecting and playing very old shakuhachi, and he has connections in Japan which allow him access to some that outsiders seldom see. He has even produced an album (mentioned in the interview) of two CDs devoted entirely to ancient shakuhachi played in the appropriate styles of their lineages.

I think Tairaku has posted a link to that interview elsewhere on this forum, but I'm not sure, so if you are interested, email me and I'll post it to you directly (and to anyone else who inquires...).

Worth reading.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer