Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-01-17 22:23:16

rpowers

The Komuso's New Year's Eve

The city of Santa Cruz cancelled their organized and sanctioned New Year's Eve parade last month; some members of the community (particularly some Burning Man veterans who don't like waiting all year for an opportunity to act out) jumped at the chance to have an unorganized and unsanctioned event, and invited anybody and everybody to show up and march.

There is no logical reason for a komuso to join the freak parade, so there he was. Even in the staging area, the tengai preserved his anonymity so well that only three or four people saw my--I mean his--face all evening.

The parade was great, anarchic fun--at one point, the Komuso was accompanied by two drummers chanting Dr. John's "Walk on Gilded Splinters." The real payoff, though, came after the parade ended.

The parade route was a straight line; to get to his ride home, our man had to retrace the route. He remained in persona as he walked past the movie theaters, restaurants, and bars. A patron stepped out of one of the bars, probably not knowing there was such a thing as a Komuso, much less expecting to confront one. He stood and gaped for about ten seconds until he could grasp just what was so strange about the situation:

"WHOA. DUUUDE, you got a BASKET on your head."

And this is how the year ended.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#2 2007-06-12 23:23:40

Harazda

Re: The Komuso's New Year's Eve

I know it's a year and a half later, but I really liked your story.  A New Year's to remember!

#3 2007-06-13 07:28:58

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Yeah it's a good story. One year in Milwaukee I dressed as a Komuso for Halloween because we were playing a concert at a beautiful venue and I wanted to start out the show on shakuhachi. We were staying in a fancy hotel and one of my friends invited me to the lobby bar for cocktails. I was already in komuso garb, so I slipped on the tengai and hopped on the lift to the lobby. When the doors opened two flabbergasted Japanese salarymen who had just checked into the hotel were awaiting the elevator with their suitcases. They looked at me, did that eye bulging and circle mouthed routine they do when surprised and one of them gasped, "Komuso!"

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2007-06-13 07:44:24

Harry
Website

rpowers,

I'm imagining one of those very colorful 50s/60s Japanese LP covers adorned with the image of komuso, decked with holly and glitter, standing with happy, frolicking children in a rustic lodge by the glowing log fire and the most perfect, present laden Christmas tree.

It will be called "A Komuso Christmas" and you shall be playing a selection of carols tastefully accompanied by a children's choir with guest appearances from dead, or nearly dead, old movie crooners.

Can we run with this?

In anticipation,

Harry.

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

#5 2007-06-13 17:00:42

rpowers

Harry wrote:

It will be called "A Komuso Christmas" and you shall be playing a selection of carols tastefully accompanied by a children's choir with guest appearances from dead, or nearly dead, old movie crooners.

I'll pass on the old crooners; I've already had that experience (but that's a different story). If I am making a Christmas album, just get me Phil Spector as producer.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#6 2007-06-13 17:03:48

Harry
Website

rpowers wrote:

... just get me Phil Spector as producer.

I'll start baking the cake, you get the file.

Regards,

H.

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

Board footer