Tube of delight!

#1 2006-10-19 11:19:29

dstone
Website

Difference between Ro and Fu

moving this to its own thread...

TCB wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding notations. What is the difference between Ro and Fu? I know that they are different octave, but I am not sure what I am looking at. Thank you.

TCB, all I know of fu is that I play it with all holes closed, crackng the 5th, it's 2 octaves about ro-otsu, and I was instructed to play it "a little meri".  I'm not clear if the "little meri" instruction was absolute or just because of my flute or embouchure.

In case fu depends on teacher or piece...  for context, my only exposure to fu is in Shin-Kyorei, as written by Okuda-sensei.  He has students here on the forum so maybe someone can chime in.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#2 2006-10-19 14:16:16

TCB

Re: Difference between Ro and Fu

Thank you, Darren. I guess my problem is not knowing how to distinguish the different from the octaves.

#3 2006-10-19 22:49:30

edosan
Edomologist

I think 'Fu' is an archaic (not wrong, just archaic...) term for what, in Kinko notation, is called 'Go no Ha' (same pitch with different fingerings is also called 'Yon Go no Ha' or 'Go no Hi'--yeah, I know, it can be confusing. I've been looking at 'em for quite a while, and I'm still confused...).

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2006-10-19 23:27:55

TCB

Well, Edosan, from my notation sheet, Fu and Ro suggest that you re-articulate the same on both (lift 2nd finger rapidly), only different on octaves. "Kan and Otsu" for Fu and "Kan and Otsu meri" for Ro. In term of Western notations, Fu is D, and Ro is D^b ???

To be clear, my finger chart is called "Chikuho Ryu" ?! if there were such a name.

#5 2006-10-23 19:57:59

graham in oz

There is actually...Riley Lee teaches Chikuho style.

They use the symbol FU for the same pitch as RO.

"To be clear, my finger chart is called "Chikuho Ryu" ?! if there were such a name"

#6 2006-10-25 14:44:57

TCB

Thanks a lot, Graham. I had been confused on the forum because everyone talks about Ro and I had no clue.

#7 2007-06-15 13:19:17

Nobody
Website

There is one teacher who suggests covering up holes 1 thru 4 while playing meri. I haven't practiced it on either of my flutes. Not sure if it works on them. It may work on yours, however.

Board footer