World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-06-08 18:29:58

chuck091956
Website

New open source shakuhachi manual

Hello All,

I am working on a document that I’ll call “A Shakuhachi Manual”. I do not use the word “training” because I think for effective Shakuhachi learning a teacher is required.

When completed the manual will be open source. Also I’m hoping that an extended Shakuhachi community can help in the effort to create the manual by suggesting content offering critiques.

Here is an initial draft of some sections for the manual. I have seen a good number of Shakuhachi manuals. Some excel in one area and lack in others. I’m hoping this manual can be a as inclusive as possible.

Preface
History
Handling the flute
Notation & Symbols
  Notes
  Other stuff
Fingering charts
Handling the flute
Techniques
Drills
Scales

I would greatly appreciate your comments on the overall project and any detail level suggestions. I’ll do the editing of the manual so I just need your thoughts and help.

Chuck Peck
Cave Creek, AZ

Chuck Peck

#2 2007-06-15 13:26:03

Nobody
Website

Re: New open source shakuhachi manual

Thank you. Some of us poor folks appreciate that. I can't, at the moment, afford any more instruction books or sheet music. I understand that people want to make a living, too, but when someone's shut out of the market, they're shut out of the market.

Suggestions: Notation seems to vary widely and it can be quite confusing. Perhaps some in-depth exploration of the different schools of notation would be good. From my experience, there is no set kinko or Tozan notation. It almost seems to depend on who's writing it.

Also, creating drills while making comparisons to western music theory may be helpful, but make sure not to assume that everyone's well-versed in western theory, either.

Going the extra mile to include everyone while, at the same time, making it easy to navigate through may be a very good plan. Since it's open-source, it won't waste too much paper.

Thank you for working on this. I'm sure it will prove a classic with the proper care.

Board footer